Houthis finally head to Kuwait for Yemen peace talks

Houthis finally head to Kuwait for Yemen peace talks
Mohammed Abdul-Salam (L), head of the Houthi delegation to scheduled peace talks in Kuwait, speaks at a news conference at Sanaa Airport, Yemen, April 20, 2016.

Kuwait City - Mahdi Al Mashat, a senior Houthi official, said on Tuesday his group had received assurances that the ceasefire would be upheld.



By Reuters

Published: Thu 21 Apr 2016, 8:15 PM

Negotiators from Yemen's Houthi group and their allies left the capital Sanaa on Wednesday for delayed peace talks in Kuwait, Yemeni airport sources said, after a dispute over a shaky ceasefire was resolved.
UN-backed talks to end the year-long war were meant to start on Monday but representatives of the Houthi group and former president Ali Abdullah Saleh did not turn up.
They accused the Yemeni government and its military allies led by Saudi Arabia of violating a temporary ceasefire, including with air strikes that had killed at least two civilians. They also said the agenda of the Kuwait meeting had been altered without consulting them.
Mahdi Al Mashat, a senior Houthi official, said on Tuesday his group had received assurances that the ceasefire would be upheld and the agenda would "reflect the issues that are likely to lead to peaceful solutions to end the status quo".
The delay of talks prompted UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the five permanent Security Council members to intervene. - Reuters
 


More news from