Abu Dhabi to stop issuing paper electricity bills

Top Stories

Abu Dhabi to stop issuing paper electricity bills

Don't worry, no electricity or water lines will be cut.


A Staff Reporter

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:19 AM

Last updated: Wed 15 Mar 2017, 6:21 PM

Do not be worried if you haven't received your electric bill for the month of May. It's not because your electricity and water lines are being disconnected. Abu Dhabi residents will not be receiving their electric bills on paper because of an innovative move by the emirate.
Abu Dhabi Distribution Company (ADDC), an entity of Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (ADWEA), said that it will start issuing only electronic bills (Green Bill) effective May 1, 2017. The move is in line with the directives of our leadership, Plan Abu Dhabi and ADDC's Strategy aimed at environmental protection and sustainable use of natural resources.
"We will migrate all our customers to electronic bills starting from this May as part of our digital transformation journey," H.E. Saeed Mohammed Al Suwaidi, ADDC's Managing Director, said.
"The electronic bill is convenient for customers, cost effective and environmentally friendly. ADDC issues around eight million bills each year, so sending them all electronically instead of on paper can save the equivalent of around 1,500 trees", he added.
The electronic bill is accessible wherever and whenever, as it can be sent as SMS notification, e-mail, through ADDC's mobile app or online at www.addc.ae. "Most of our customers prefer electronic channels such as our mobile app or website now, as they can get more details about their consumption, whether it is in the Green or the Red band and the actual cost of the water and electricity they consume, as well as accessing quick and easy payment options" he said. "Around 53% of ADDC's customers have already chosen to receive electronic bills and we are working to encourage the remaining 47% to sign up through a public outreach campaign under the slogan "Your Bill is Turning Green"" he said. Customers can register or update their contact details, mobile number and email address at ADDC's website www.addc.ae, by calling toll free on 800 2332 or visiting any ADDC branch.
Al Suwaidi added, "I'm sure that most of our customers will welcome the Green Bill. However we also respect the needs of individuals, so elderly customers and others with special needs will continue to receive paper bills unless they opt for the Green Bill".

More news from