Inter beats Roma 3-1 in Italian Super Cup

Inter Milan picked up right where it left off from last season, winning another trophy with a 3-1 victory over AS Roma in the Italian Super Cup.

By (AP)

Published: Sun 22 Aug 2010, 2:25 PM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 3:55 AM

Samuel Eto’o scored twice in the second half at the San Siro to break a 1-1 deadlock in Inter’s first official match since Jose Mourinho departed for Real Madrid.

Left back John Arne Riise put Roma ahead in the 21st minute, collecting a pass from Francesco Totti and beating Inter goalkeeper Julio Cesar from the edge of the area.

Goran Pandev equalized for Inter in the 41st, profiting from an ill-advised pass by Roma forward Mirko Vucinic into his own goal box. Roma defender Juan couldn’t clear and Pandev slid the ball in through goalkeeper Bogdan Lobont’s legs.

Eto’o gave Inter the lead in the 70th following a cross from Diego Milito, then sealed the victory 10 minutes later after Rodrigo Taddei gave away the ball.

“The thing that pleased me most was that the squad fought until the end even though it’s not in top form yet,” new Inter manager Rafa Benitez said after his debut.

Last season, Inter became the first Italian side to win a treble with the Serie A, Italian Cup and Champions League titles. It could have been four titles if Inter hadn’t lost last year’s Super Cup to Lazio.

Inter next faces Atletico Madrid in the European Super Cup on Friday, then is scheduled to open the Serie A three days later against Bologna.

While Eto’o appeared on form, Milito visibly struggled — a sharp contrast from last season when he scored virtually all of Inter’s most important goals.

Benitez started with the same lineup Mourinho used in the win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final in May, with Pandev, Wesley Sneijder and Eto’o lining up behind Milito in attack.

Roma countered with Jeremy Menez directing Vucinic and Totti.

“I don’t think the score shows a true picture of this match,” Roma coach Claudio Ranieri said.

After Sneijder shot high for Inter nine minutes in, Roma took control for most of the first half.

Totti set up Vucinic all alone in front of the goal in the 10th but the forward wasted the opportunity by shooting directly at Julio Cesar.

Five minutes later, Menez dribbled by Walter Samuel down the right flank and missed a sharply angled shot.

Inter right back Maicon slid a dangerous cross into the goal box for Eto’o in the 18th but Marco Cassetti blocked the striker’s shot.

After Riise’s goal, Roma dominated for long stretches while Inter struggled to get the ball to Milito. Still, Vucinic’s error sent the teams into the changing rooms at 1-1.

Seeking a boost in attack, Benitez sent on Dejan Stankovic for Inter captain Javier Zanetti to start the second half but Roma remained in control.

Menez missed a volley in the 51st, Riise sent a long, low free kick on goal in the 63rd, and Milito had a goal waved off for offside a minute later at the other end.

Former Inter forward Adriano came on in the 67th for his Roma debut but rarely threatened as Eto’o changed the course of the match.

“He’s working hard but it’s not easy to adapt to new tactics and new teammates right away,” Ranieri said.

The game was suspended for about five minutes in the 72nd after Roma fans showered the pitch with fireworks — shortly after Eto’o put Inter ahead.

Before the game, a minute of silence was held in memory of former Italy President Francesco Cossiga, who died on Tuesday.

More news from Football