The Attorney General, Issam Humaidan held a Press conference yesterday at Dubai General Prosecution and announced that the Dubai General Prosecution had completed within five days the investigation on the case of a Gulf national ...


Amira Agarib

Published: Sun 14 Aug 2005, 12:47 PM

Last updated: Thu 2 Apr 2015, 6:02 PM

and nine other Arab Africans including two women who had stolen about Dh 2 million exploiting the position of one of them who was a policeman in one of the emirates. The 10 accused will be referred to the court to take the necessary actions.

He said that it falls in line with the instructions of General Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and UAE Defence Minister, who wanted quick action in important cases. He said the theft was considered important due to the large number of accused and the techniques used in the theft.

He said the General Prosecution had received the case on August 6 from the Muraqabbat police station. Mohammed Ali Rustom, chief of Deira Public Prosecution had set up a team of four members to complete the investigation. All sections worked day and night and were able to bring all witness and evidence within three days. The accused will be referred to the court under the Articles 583 and 250 and 407.

He added "We mete out strict punishment for the thieves ... a life term or 15 years in jail". He said that a woman had planned the operation and helped in delivering the money. The accused woman was waiting with a man at the building controlling and observing the area, while another woman is said to have shared the booty. He added that the some of the accused had confessed to the crime, while some of the arrested denied knowing anything about the theft. He praised Brigadier Khamis Matar Al Muzainah, the Director of the General Department of Criminal Investigation and Dubai Police Force for solving the mysterious theft and recovering the stolen amount in less than 12 hours from receiving the complaint on August 2 at around 12 noon.

The mastermind of the theft was one of the Africans who carefully planned with the first accused, a Gulf state national, who executed the plan.

The suspect placed a phone call asking a man to bring $1 million to be exchanged. Instead, three Africans are said to have rushed into the office, claimed that they were from the CID, flashed a police ID card belonging to one of them and seized the bag, accusing the two Indians who came there they were dealing in fake dollars. Immediately after leaving the office, the four Africans had decided on dividing the amount and ran away to an unidentified place. The Press Conference was attended by General Prosecutors Mohammed Rustum, Mohammed Ali Khalf and Khalifa Dymas.

More news from City Times