Bahrain cop in custody after car attack is posted on social media

A policeman has been taken into custody pending investigation in connection with a video footage posted on the social media web sites, showing a person being insulted inside a police car.



By Our Correspondent

Published: Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:58 PM

Last updated: Sat 4 Apr 2015, 5:34 AM

The Special Investigation Unit interrogated the suspect and charged him with aggressing a detainee and causing him severe pain and distress. “The accused, who is ranked First Policeman, has been identified following an inquiry”, Special Investigation Unit (SIU) acting chief Ibrahim Al Kawari said.

In a statement, he pointed out that the accused had been sanctioned, immediately after the video footage had been posted online, with full knowledge of the Interior Ministry’s Legal Affairs. The SIU had launched an investigation into the incident in order to determine its circumstances and identify the detainee as well as the aggressor.

Al Kawari said that the detainee had not been revealed as the aggressor didn’t say anything about him during the interrogation, pointing out that the incident happened three years ago. He appealed to the unidentified victim who appeared in the video footage to reveal his identity and give his statement as part of the ongoing inquiry. He also called upon anyone who might have useful information to follow suit.

This statement was released after the Interior Ministry tweeted on Tuesday the suspension of a number of policemen in connection with the case.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Ombudsman also announced that it is following closely the video footage and the investigation.

shamada@khaleejtimes.com


More news from WORLD