Montreal winner Nadal quits Cincinnati Masters

Montreal winner Nadal quits Cincinnati Masters
Rafael Nadal celebrates his victory against Russia's Daniil Medvedev during the final of the Rogers Cup.

Cincinnati - The announcement came a few hours after Nadal won his fifth Canadian title



By AFP

Published: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 8:32 PM

Last updated: Mon 12 Aug 2019, 10:34 PM

Rafael Nadal withdrew from the Cincinnati Masters for the second year in a row after polishing off his US Open preparation with a Montreal title on Sunday.
The announcement came a few hours after Nadal won his fifth Canadian title 6-3, 6-0 over Russian Daniil Medvedev.
The oft-injured Spaniard decided against playing any more before the August 26 start of the US Open in new York.
"I am very sorry to announce that I won't be playing in Cincinnati this year," Nadal posted on Facebook. "No other reason than personally taking care of my body and trying to keep as healthy as I feel now."
Nadal said he explained his position to Brazilian Cincinnati tournament director Andre Silva, whom he said understood.
"I'm sure the tournament will be a success and I wish him and his team all the best," Nadal said.
His late withdrawal leaves the Cincinnati draw severely lopsided, with top seed Novak Djokovic and number three Roger Federer positioned in the top half.
Neither of the pair have played since their Wimbledon final a month ago won by Djokovic.
Federer is bidding for an eighth Cincinnati title while Djokovic is the defending champion.
Nadal will go into the US Open with just one hardcourt warm-up, albeit his record-extending 35th Masters 1000 title.
The world number two secured his 35th Masters crown, pulling clear by two in that category from Novak Djokovic, who has won 33 of the elite tournaments.
Claycourt king Nadal successfully defended a hard court title for the first time in his career.
"It was important to start the match in a good shape," the 18-time Grand Slam winner said.
"He came in playing so well, playing a lot of matches the last weeks," Nadal added of Medvedev, who was runner-up to Nick Kyrgios in Washington last week."
Nadal, in contrast, had played just three hard court matches since starting his build up to the US Open this week - reaching the final on a walkover when injured Gael Monfils pulled out of their scheduled semi-final.
"I played a solid match, my best of the week so far without a doubt," Nadal said. "I did a lot of things well: changing directions, changing rhythm during the point. The slice worked well this afternoon.
"I think I played smart, I had a good feeling on the ball."
With all that going for him, Nadal needed just 70 minutes to subdue Medvedev, breaking the Russian four times.
The top seed, who now owns five Canadian title dating to 2005, swept the last seven games in the hardcourt blowout against his 23-year-old Russian opponent - who had never played Nadal before.
"I've played Roger (Federer) two times, Novak (Djokovic) four times," Medvedev said.
"I knew how it was going to be, I was kind of ready for it. But I didn't manage to probably show my best tennis. Rafa was incredible today. Congrats to him."


More news from Sports