'Khaleej Times' hosts spectacular 'Art and Headlines' exhibition in Dubai
The artists portrayed their interpretation of the front page in various types of art.
Khaleej Times, the nation's oldest English Newspaper, hosted a collaborative art exhibition 'Art and Headlines' at Andakulova Gallery on November 16, 2017 at DIFC, Dubai, UAE.
The exhibition showcased 13 iconic pages of Khaleej Times from the last four decades -- an intriguing visual interpretation of iconic Khaleej Times front pages by exemplary artists.
The artists portrayed their interpretation of the front page in various types of art - conceptual, functional art, acrylic painting, watercolour, conceptual, charcoal painting, graffiti, and mixed mediums.
The exhibition was inaugurated by Mr. Yasser Al Gergawi, Director of Cultural Events, Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development; Vipul - Consul General of India; Charitha Yattogoda, Consul General of Sri Lanka, and Dato Yubazlan Haji Yusof - Consul General of Malaysia.
Speaking about this unique idea, Vinay Kamat, Editor, Khaleej Times, stated, "There is a thin line between news and creativity. News inspires art and art inspires news. Khaleej Times' initiative brings the blur into focus, showcasing the unique contribution of newspapers to art and art's own stamp on newspapers. The influence of news makes art contemporary, contextual and impresssionistic."
Speaking about this unique concept, Ravi Raman, Senior Vice President at Khaleej Times, said "These are truly special pages both of Khaleej Times and the nation, we are truly pleased to see talented artists create their renditions of it."
The artists at this exhibition come from diverse cultures and nationalities. Through the language of art, each artist can express and share their uniqueness with the world.
Speaking about this exceptional concept, the artists stated, "Khaleej Times has provided a unique platform to us to display our distinctiveness and imaginations in the form of our varied creations."
Natalya Andakulova, Owner/Founder of the Andakulova Gallery, stated, "Andakulova Gallery has always striven to bring the richness of Central Asian art to art lovers and the general public of this region. We are pleased and honoured to host this unique event in collaboration with Khaleej Times. I think this initiative will go a long way in building bridges between the Central Asia and MENA regions."
Khaleej Times' art exhibition was supported by The Art of Shaving, unrivaled products that elevate shaving from an act to an art and Canvas Magazine, a premier magazine for art and culture from the Middle East and Arab World.
Asad Raza Khan, International Markets Leader, The Art of Shaving stated "The Art of Shaving is proud to be associated with such a fantastic event. Khaleej Times has been one of the pioneer's in media in UAE and it is nice to see them come together with local artists to celebrate the history and heritage of UAE via headlines and art. UAE has a rich history which many people are still not familiar with and this is an innovative platform for many people to learn more about this wonderful nation and its journey."
Artists names and specializations
- Ms. Sana Sajan, a modern contemporary and Islamic calligraphy artist, used acrylic and mixed medium for her art and recreated Oil struck in new Dubai well - 27/02/1980
- Ms. Minisha Bhardwaj, a charcoal and portrait artist recreated His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, becomes Dubai Ruler - 5/1/2006
- Ms. Mariska Nell, a recycled products and mixed media artist recreated GCC first meeting is held - 26/5/1981
- Mr. Thankachen Kumaran, an artist specialising in architectural, contemporary, and abstract recreated Dubai Metro launched - 10/09/09
- Ms. Elizabeth Bruce, specialized in portraits inspired by colours, light, recreated World's largest Dubai Mall opens - 4/11/2008
. Ms. Zaahirah Muthy, a mixed media artist specialising in feet painting, recreated Khalifa inaugurates world's largest plant, hails Shams 1 as an outstanding achievement, dated 18/03/2013
- Dr. Yaser Habrawi, a portrait artist, recreated His Highness Sheikh Khalifa becomes President - 4/11/2004
- Ms. Muneera Al Abbadi, a mixed media artist recreated Khaleej Times is born- 16/4/1978
- Mr. Charlie Villagracia, specialising in conceptual, surrealism, and acrylics recreated Emirates airline is launched - 24/10/1985
- Ms. Mrinmay Sebastian, specialising in watercolours and realistic work recreated Dubai Canal unveiled - 10/11/16
- Mr. Ahmed Rukni, an acrylic artist recreated Burj Khalifa is inaugurated - 5/1/2010
- Ms. Kasia Dzikowska, specialising in watercolour and acrylic recreated UAE announces 'Mars 2117' project to establish first mini-city on Mars - 15/02/2017
- Ms. Rafah Abdul Razzak, drawing, oil painting, acrylic charcoal, graffiti, and watercolour artist recreated Sheikh Ahmed Al Maktoum wins UAE's first Olympic gold - 18/08/2004