Good Samaritan assaulted after trying to break up fight in Dubai

brawl, good samaritan, dubai, assault, break up, fight, dubai, emirati, saudi

Dubai - He received a permanent injury.

By Marie Nammour

Published: Mon 21 Oct 2019, 4:02 PM

Last updated: Mon 21 Oct 2019, 11:02 PM

Four men, including two Saudi siblings, were charged at the Dubai Court of First Instance on Monday for allegedly physically assaulting an Emirati man and causing him a permanent injury.
Public prosecution records show that the two siblings, aged 25 and 21, and the two Emirati men, aged 25 and 26, beat up the victim and broke his front head bones, leaving him with a permanent injury. The victim was then acting as a good Samaritan to break up a fight the defendants were involved in with another group.
The 25-year-old Saudi is also accused of assaulting another Emirati man. He and the 25-year-old Emirati accomplice also verbally abused the two victims.
The incident took place on July 1 last year and was reported at Al Rashidiya police station.
The victim, a 22-year-old Emirati employee, said he was at a hotel in Al Garhoud when he spotted the four accused having a verbal brawl with a man.
"It was around 5.30am. I stepped in to calm them down and then returned to my table where I was sitting with my friends. As I was heading to the lobby later, I saw the same defendants arguing with the same man who was then joined by three others."
The security guards then intervened and escorted them out of the lobby. "Then those men began to fight. I stepped in again between them to break the fight. But my friends and I were assaulted in the process," the victim recounted during the investigation.
The victim was later hit with a solid object after the four men surrounded the other man in his car. "They thought that the other man was my friend and that he was sitting with us at our table. But we don't even know him."
The victim was knocked down bleeding from his nose, mouth and head. "I suffered a severe skull haemorrhage and fractures. I underwent a surgery but I have been left with constant migraine and pain."
The victim told the prosecutors that the defendants behaved aggressively.
A policeman said they arrested two defendants at the emergency section of a hospital shortly after the incident.
"They admitted they assaulted the victim, claiming he and his friends had earlier harassed the girlfriend of one of them at a café. That sparked up a verbal brawl which turned into a fight."
The trial will continue on October 31.

More news from Crime and Courts