5 tips for healthy lips this summer
Oh sugar, sugar! The sun is out, so it's time to prep your pout. Skin safety is of utmost importance during summers, but there's one patch of skin that is often overlooked when it comes to the summer elements - the lips. The lips need extra TLC all year round - and especially in summer - because they lack the natural glands to keep them moist.
If you want luscious lips this summer, follow these guidelines to protect your smackers from the summer elements.
One simple lip care tip to keep your lips soft in summer is to drink water. As the summer sun gets hotter, your lips need extra water. But don't lick your lips, no matter how great our baked goods look.
1. Exfoliate and prime: First, help slough away dead skin cells from the surface of your lips with a lip scrub. Use gentle circular motions to apply the scrub, then rinse it off with water. If you're planning on wearing a lipstick afterwards, use a lip primer after you're done with the scrub to help create an even base. My current favourite is the Frank Lip Scrub and Balm Duo, another good option is ELF Lip Exfoliator, which comes in several flavours (my favourite is mint maniac).
2. Use a lip balm formulated with SPF: SPF, SPF, SPF! I suppose you read this every week. But sun protection is not only for your face but for the full body. Just like the rest of your skin, your lips are susceptible to burning, too. Lip balm might just be the most important skin care product in your summer skincare tool bag. It serves two purposes - to protect the lips from harmful UV rays and to moisturise them, thereby preventing dehydration and chapping. Choose a lip balm that has an SPF of at least 15 and moisturising ingredients that leave your lips feeling and looking luscious. When you slather sunscreen all over your body, don't forget to protect your lips with lip balm.
3. Moisturise: In addition to daily application of lip balm, your lips need heavy duty moisturising at night to help them recover and regenerate. Apply a moisturising cream at night so the lips can absorb the moisture while you sleep. Try Etude House Cherry Jelly Lips Gel Patch - a lip patch that keeps your lips moisturised, revitalised and plump with triple care from cherry extract, hyaluronic acid and collagen.
4. Skip matte formulas: During the warmer months, you may want to give your favourite matte lipsticks a rest. While we love the way matte lipstick looks, it can often exacerbate the look of dryness since the finish is flat. Instead, opt for a glossy balm.
5. Remove makeup without overdrying: When it comes to removing your lip products, reach out for micellar water, a gentle, no-rinse cleansing option. Micellar water is powered by tiny micelles - oil molecules - that act as a magnet to lift dirt, oil and makeup away from the skin. Just soak a cotton pad with the liquid and wipe away - no rinsing or rubbing required.
Remember, as girls, almost all of us love wearing lip colours - be it vibrant and bright shades or nude and pastel hues. But no lipstick can create a perfect pout if your lips aren't already well cared for.