Afghan forces repel Taleban assault on provincial capital, governor says
Taleban assault is the latest in a string of offensives as US-led foreign forces are in final stages of withdrawing troops after almost 20 years of fighting
Afghan security forces, with the help of air strikes, repelled an assault by Taleban fighters on the provincial centre of a key northern province bordering Tajikistan on Sunday, officials said.
The Taleban assault was the latest in a string of offensives that has seen insurgents capture territory across Afghanistan as US-led foreign forces are in the final stages of withdrawing troops after almost 20 years of fighting.
“The enemy’s offensive attacks were repelled, and they suffered heavy and unprecedented casualties, as a result of which 55 enemy soldiers were killed and 90 were wounded,” the governor of Takhar province Abdullah Qarluq said.
Reuters could not independently confirm his account.
More than a dozen Taleban fighters were killed in air strikes by the Afghan Air Force on hideouts on the outskirts of Takhar’s provincial center, Taluqan, Afghanistan’s defence ministry said on Twitter.
“The Taleban attacked Taluqan from four directions last night (Saturday), but were faced with strong resistance from security forces and (local) people,” Khalil Asir, spokesman for Takhar Police Command, told Reuters.
Taluqan is just the latest provincial capital to come under Taleban pressure. Earlier this week Taleban fighters entered the capital of the western province of Badghis, seizing police and security facilities and attempting to take over the governor’s office before special forces pushed them back.
Insurgents have made a fresh push to gain territory in recent weeks, emboldened by the departure of foreign forces. The Pentagon believes that after taking dozens of district centres, the Taleban will make a push for provincial centres.
In southern Afghanistan, too, clashes continued.
India said on Sunday it had temporarily repatriated officials from its consulate in Kandahar, a major city in southern Afghanistan.
“Due to the intense fighting near Kandahar city, India-based personnel have been brought back for the time being,” Arindam Bagchi, chief spokesperson at India’s foreign ministry, said in a statement.
“India is closely monitoring the evolving security situation in Afghanistan,” Bagchi said, adding that India’s consulate in Kandahar was being run by local staff temporarily.
Taliban officials said on Friday that the insurgent group had taken control of 85% of Afghanistan’s territory. Afghan government officials dismissed the assertion as propaganda.
The PM has directed the national emergency service to be on high... READ MORE
The goldsmith to whom he sold the jewellery is on the run, according... READ MORE
Originally mandated to raise $200 million, the syndication facility... READ MORE
The two-dose candidate requires lower dosages than the injected... READ MORE
Stranded expat workers advised to register grievances with relevant... READ MORE
Shashi Tharoor's World of Words is a weekly column in which the... READ MORE
Move aims to ease financial pressures faced by establishments and... READ MORE
WHO is concerned that children who use vaping products are up to... READ MORE