US: Michigan to pay $1.75 million to innocent man after 35 years in prison

Louis Wright was wrongly convicted of sexual assault on an 11-year-old girl in 1988 at the age of 30

By AP

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Top Stories

Louis Wright (right) after his release. — Photo courtesy: Instagram/cooleylawschool
Louis Wright (right) after his release. — Photo courtesy: Instagram/cooleylawschool

Published: Fri 12 Jan 2024, 9:44 PM

Last updated: Fri 12 Jan 2024, 9:45 PM

The state of Michigan has agreed to pay $1.75 million to an innocent man who spent 35 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of sexual assault.

Louis Wright was released in November after authorities said DNA tests ruled him out as the perpetrator in an attack on an 11-year-old girl in Albion, a small town in southwestern Michigan, in 1988.

People who are exonerated based on new evidence are eligible for $50,000 for each year spent in a Michigan prison. The attorney general's office sometimes resists paying, based on strict criteria in the law, but quickly agreed to compensate Wright.

The deal was approved by a judge on Wednesday.

Stay up to date with the latest news. Follow KT on WhatsApp Channels.

“Nothing can make up for 35 years in a Michigan prison for something he did not do," Wright's attorney, Wolf Mueller, said. “This is a first step toward getting Louis’ life back at the age of 65.”

Police investigating the assault settled on Wright as the suspect after an off-duty officer said he had been seen in the neighbourhood. Police said he confessed, though the interview was not recorded and he did not sign a confession, according to the Cooley Law School Innocence Project.

The victim was never asked to identify Wright, the Innocence Project said.

Wright eventually pleaded no-contest to the charges and was sentenced to 25 years to 50 years in prison. He then tried to withdraw his plea at sentencing, but the request was denied.

ALSO READ:

Wright was repeatedly eligible for parole consideration, starting in 2008. But he refused to take a sex offender therapy class, a key condition for release, and remained behind bars until DNA cleared him, Mueller said.

“He said, ‘I didn’t do this crime. I'm not taking a therapy class.' He cost himself several years, just standing on principle," Mueller said Friday. “Not a lot of guys would do that.”

Separately, Mueller filed a lawsuit against police seeking more than $100 million. The lawsuit claims Wright's rights were violated during the investigation in 1988.


More news from Offbeat