Crime and Courts
Logo
 

Medical team to stand trial in Dubai for botched surgery on Emirati woman

Staff Reporter/Dubai
Filed on January 3, 2020 | Last updated on January 3, 2020 at 07.02 am
dubai crime, dubai laws, botched nose surgery

(KT file)

As a result of the medical mistakes, Al Muaini has been in a coma since her surgery in April, 2019.

The medical team that conducted a botched nose surgery on an Emirati woman, leading to a permanent disability, has been referred to the Dubai Criminal Court.

The Attorney-General of Dubai, Essam Issa Al Humaidan, has referred the three medics, who have conducted the surgery on Rawda Al Muaini in April last year, to the court for further legal procedures. The surgeon, anaestheiolgist and anaesthetic technician were found responsible for medical negligence causing severe health problems to the patient by a team of experts.

An investigation was carried out by the Dubai Public Prosecution, which revealed that the medics have committed serious mistakes that caused major health problems to the patient.

Earlier in May last year, the public prosecution received an initial report from the Dubai Health Authority (DHA), and later in November, the final report was filed by the Higher Committee For Medical Liability in the UAE.  The report held the surgeon, anaesthesiologist and his assistant responsible, saying they had committed grave mistakes that caused physical and mental problems to the 24-year-old woman. The DHA had suspended the licences of the medics and ordered closure of the facility until further notice.

The prosecution investigation revealed that the victim approached the medical centre seeking remedy for her breathing problem. After consultation, the surgeon advised her to go for a surgery to fix a bone in her nose. He also scheduled the surgery at the one-day-surgery medical centre, which is not suitable for such surgeries, the investigation report said, adding that there were critical errors during the surgery.

As a result of the medical mistakes, Al Muaini has been in a coma since her surgery in April.

After taking action against the medical centre and the medics in May, Dr Marwan Al Mulla, CEO of the health regulation sector at the DHA, had confirmed that the authority had taken all the needed measures after it was notified of the case.

"The 24-year-old young Emirati entered a coma due to dangerous complications that she suffered from during a Septoplasty procedure by S.H and S.D at First Med Day Surgery Centre. The patient suffered from a severe drop in blood circulation and blood pressure. Oxygen also stopped reaching her brain, which caused her heart to stop for several minutes and put her into a deep coma - which she still did not wake up from. The patient was transferred to a specialised hospital and is currently in the intensive care unit," he added.

Later, His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, stepped in to offer help for the girl's treatment abroad. He informed the family that he would cover her medical expenses.

After hearing all the witnesses and the officials who prepared the medical reports and interrogating the accused, the public prosecution said that the full responsibility for the condition of Al Muaini falls on the three accused.

hesham@khaleejtimes.com


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM News
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /nation/crime/public-prosecution-to-contest-verdicts-over-death-of-schoolgirl-in-abu-dhabi macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios