100 workers stranded as caravans catch fire in Sharjah
The resident workers have incurred heavy losses
As many as 100 workers were stranded on Sunday morning as their temporary caravan accommodations were gutted in a major fire in Khor Kalba, Sharjah.
The resident workers have incurred heavy losses as many of them lost their valuable documents, laptops, dresses, household items and money at the blaze. A team of Sharjah Police and Sharjah Civil Defence brought the fire under control in the afternoon.
The 15 rooms in 6 caravans were totally gutted. Each room housed more than four workers. However, a major tragedy was averted because majority of the workers were at the work site. Majority of the affected workers were from India, Tanzania, Pakistan and Bangladesh who worked for the Sharjah Institute of Heritage.
"Most of us were at work place when the fire started at around 10.30am on Sunday. We have lost everything including various goods that we kept ready for vacation in our rooms in the caravans," said one of the workers.
"About Dh25,000 worth of equipment and other machinery owned by Falcon Survey Engineering Consultants were in the carvans. We have lost dresses, bed, deduction certificates, etc," Anoop, one of the residents.
The fire - believed to have started from a kitchen area - caused explosion of many cooking gas cylinders, totally destroying the temporary facility made of iron steel pipes and wood.
"As we have lost everything including our cloths we have to start from the scratches again and even buy new clothes," said an Indian worker.
The heritage institute is trying to build new caravans for the workers who have found alternative accommodation in Ajman.
Some of the workers who were in the temporary accommodation facility at the time of fire tried to retrieve their personal belongings but could not do so due to the raging fire.
Doctors appreciate the stability and emotional well-being the... READ MORE
The total doses administered now stands at 16.6 million. READ MORE
Sajjad Tangal thought to have died in an air crash in Mumbai in 1976. READ MORE
Stop, stare and smell. Candles are no longer just vessels of aroma,... READ MORE
The UAE ranks first globally among countries with the highest... READ MORE
People must maintain a social distance of two metres READ MORE
Starting October 4, travellers from the UAE can enter the UK, if they ... READ MORE
Mandatory mask rule was first announced over 18 months ago. READ MORE