100 workers stranded as caravans catch fire in Sharjah


100 workers stranded as caravans catch fire in Sharjah

Sharjah - The resident workers have incurred heavy losses

By VM Sathish

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 7 Mar 2017, 8:19 PM

Last updated: Wed 8 Mar 2017, 8:01 AM

As many as 100 workers were stranded on Sunday morning as their temporary caravan accommodations were gutted in a major fire in Khor Kalba, Sharjah.
The resident workers have incurred heavy losses as many of them lost their valuable documents, laptops, dresses, household items and money at the blaze. A team of Sharjah Police and Sharjah Civil Defence brought the fire under control in the afternoon. 
The 15 rooms in 6 caravans were totally gutted. Each room housed more than four workers. However, a major tragedy was averted because majority of the workers were at the work site. Majority of the affected workers were from India, Tanzania, Pakistan and Bangladesh who worked for the Sharjah Institute of Heritage.
"Most of us were at work place when the fire started at around 10.30am on Sunday. We have lost everything including various goods that we kept ready for vacation in our rooms in the caravans," said one of the workers.
"About Dh25,000 worth of equipment and other machinery owned by Falcon Survey Engineering Consultants were in the carvans. We have lost dresses, bed, deduction certificates, etc," Anoop, one of the residents.
The fire ­- believed to have started from a kitchen area - caused explosion of many cooking gas cylinders, totally destroying the temporary facility made of iron steel pipes and wood.
"As we have lost everything including our cloths we have to start from the scratches again and even buy new clothes," said an Indian worker.
The heritage institute is trying to build new caravans for the workers who have found alternative accommodation in Ajman.
Some of the workers who were in the temporary accommodation facility at the time of fire tried to retrieve their personal belongings but could not do so due to the raging fire.

More news from