Jazira mum on Gervinho, Neves

Jazira mum on Gervinho, Neves

Landing Ivory Coast striker will be a great boost; Capital club dismiss Mabkhout rumours



By James Jose (senior Reporter)

Published: Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:17 PM

Last updated: Wed 8 Jul 2015, 3:13 PM

Al Jazira star striker Ali Ahmed Mabkhout (7) during a Gulf Club Cup match. — AFP

Abu Dhabi — Al Jazira football club have neither confirmed nor denied that they are in talks with Roma’s Gervinho and have also dismissed reports of their striker Ali Ahmed Mabkhout joining Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal as a part deal for Thiago Neves, as rumours.

New reports have been doing the rounds that former Arsenal winger Gervinho is set to join the Pride of Abu Dhabi. News outlets claimed that Al Jazira CEO Ammar Al Bashir had met with Roma’s director of sport Walter Sabatini in Rome on Sunday to negotiate a deal for the 28-year-old Ivory Coast international.

The reports have also mentioned varying fees for the former Le Mans and Lille player. But Al Jazira have not confirmed or denied the news.

“Whenever we have any news about a signing, well will announce it on our official website and our twitter account,” Mohammed Abdulrahman Al Khidiri, the club spokesman told the Khaleej Times on Tuesday.

The club also did not confirm or deny the news about Neves signing from Al Hilal with the spokesman saying they will inform the media through official channels when there are any new signings.

Reports have said that Brazilian midfielder Neves was in the UAE Capital for a medical and had already agreed terms with the club. It was also suggested that Ali Mabkhout would be offered as a part deal either on a permanent basis or on loan.

Rumours are also doing the rounds that Argentine Manuel Lanzini, who was signed last summer, as well as Jonathan Pitroipa could make way for Gervinho and Neves.

Ali Mabkhout, the Golden Boot winner at the AFC Asian Cup in Australia earlier in January where the UAE clinched the bronze, was keen on a move to Europe with reports saying a number of clubs were interested.

The latest news of the 24-year-old moving to Al Hilal have been clearly denied by the club, saying they were just rumours.

“Al I Ahmed Mabkout will remain with Al Jazira. He has a contract with the club for three years. These are just rumours doing the rounds,” added Al Khidiri.

The club also went on to dismiss the rumours on their official twitter account as well as their official website.

“Al Jazira Football Company did not reach any full transfer or loan deal for the first team attacker Ali Mabkhout, who is still committed to the club with a three-year contract. The rumours and speculations spreading in the social media channels about this are totally baseless,” a club statement said.

The UAE international is currently with the National squad in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, as they prepare for the World Cup qualifiers.

Al Jazira finished second to champions Al Ain in the Arabian Gulf League and there is also speculation about coach Eric Gerets’ stay at the club.

james@khaleejtimes.com 


More news from Local Sports