Top 6 beauty trends that's trending this summer
While I have always been a firm believer that trends and fads should never define your personal style, and that classic is always in fashion, I do have a Top 6 of this year's summer trends for those looking for inspiration when they play with makeup next:
1. Gothic makeup: The Edwardian era, when Gothicism was at an all-time high, was not the best time for makeup lovers, as it used to be created with highly toxic materials. The best time for makeup lovers is now - with the launch of the Pastel Goth palette by Kat Von D, the surge of black, green and blue lippies by mainstream brands like Anastasia Beverly Hills, ColourPop and D. Benoit. Some of my personal favourites are Vamp, Sepia and Sad Girl by Anastasia, A Paris by D. Benoit, and the 'true black' Friday colour from the Moment of Weekness set by ColourPop.
2. The inner corner highlight: Gone are the days when a simple shimmer shade would cut it as inner corner highlight. These days, loose pigments, Swarovski studs, sequins and much more have taken over and totally changed the inner corner highlight from the subtle glow it used to be to a statement in itself. Violet Voss's loose glitters and the shimmer sets from Cozzette cosmetics are the absolute best to get on with this trend.
3. Lip-topper is a showstopper: Another great trend is using a glittery gloss or clear gloss over the lips for that plumped and glowy look. While this works tremendously well for those with thick lips, thin lips would benefit from using a bit of a nude lip shade under the topper to cheat one's way toward a fuller lip. Jouer Cosmetics offers lip toppers in colours like Skinny Dip (champagne gold), Tan Lines (bronzy gold) and Rose Gold.
4. Get the glow: Clean, fresh skin, warm blush, warm bronzers and a beautiful champagne highlight has been 'in' ever since the contour kits by Anastasia Beverly Hills, Champagne Pop highlight by Becca, and Coconut Bronzer by Marc Jacobs were introduced onto the makeup scene. I have always been a fan of this look, so I adore this trend to a T!
5. Cutting-edge cut-crease: When done right, the concealer-cut crease - with either shimmers or mattes - can really give any look a real, doll-like appeal. It's perfect for those looking to change the shape of the eye, or simply for a glam night out. Use something like the Sonia Kashuk eyeshadow primer or the IT cosmetics' Bye Bye Undereye concealer to cut a new crease over preblended shadows.
6. Holo-lovers, unite: I must be honest, I've been on the fence about this once when it first developed in 2016. Back then, it was quite hard to take anybody with a colourful highlighter seriously. But today, especially with the fun summer months upon us, using intense duo-chrome shadows, glitters and multicolored highlighters are very much 'in', and it's time we embraced it fully. Get on-trend with the Alchemist Palette by Kat Von D, the Aurora palette by Anastasia Beverly Hills or the Duo-Chrome shadows by Makeup Geek.
The writer is founder of Glamazle.com