Caught on camera: Expat jumped to his death from Dubai tower, police confirm

Top Stories

dubai suicide, expat jumps to his death

Dubai - He asked the watchman for the keys to a flat posing as a tenant.

By Web Report

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Thu 20 Feb 2020, 1:50 PM

Last updated: Thu 20 Feb 2020, 10:50 PM

An Asian man, who fell to his death in Dubai earlier this month, had committed suicide by jumping from the 24th floor of a building at Dubai Silicon Oasis, Dubai Police confirmed on Thursday.
Brigadier Saeed Hamad Bin Sulaiman Al Malik, Director of Al Rashidiya Police Station, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Police Station, said that the Command and Control Centre of Dubai Police had received an emergency call from the building's watchman about a man falling down of the building.
"Upon receiving the report, police patrol and a forensic experts were dispatched to the site - where they learned that the Asian man had jumped to his death from the high rise building," Brig. Al Malik said.
The mortal remains of the Indian youth was flown to his hometown in Thirur, Malappuram district, on Thursday
Identified as Sabeel Rahman (a 25-year-old engineer) fell to his death from a building near his work site on Monday. Following the completion of legal procedures, Rahman's remains were repatriated on a flight to Kerala on Thursday morning at 2.45am, said Naseer Vatanapally, a social worker handling the case. His funeral will be held at his hometown at 12.30pm.
According to an earlier official death notification, the direct cause of Sabeel's death was a cardiac arrest caused by a traumatic subdural haemorrhage caused by the fall.
However, today, Brig. Al Malik said that the expat's suicide had been caught on camera.
He had tricked the watchman into giving him the keys to a flat on the 24th floor - pretending to be a potential tenant.
Brig. Al Malik said CCTV footage and forensic examinations confirmed the watchman's claims.
"The deceased went up alone to the flat after he had received the keys from the watchman. He took his shoes off and left his phone in the balcony then jumped to his death", Brig. Al Malik explained.
The senior official explained that the whole incident took place in less than 12 minutes.

More news from