2 UAE homes gutted in fire, narrow escape for families

2 UAE homes gutted in fire, narrow escape for families

Khor Fakkan - One of the fires erupted in the air conditioner.



Nine members of a family and their housemaid had a narrow escape after a fire broke out in their house at Zabara area in Khor Fakkan on Sunday night. Initial investigations blamed the air conditioner for the blaze, sources said.
"The house was gutted in the fire, but fortunately, none of the family members and the domestic help were hurt," they added.
The emergency housing section of the Department of Housing in Sharjah swung into action and shifted the family to two hotel apartments in Khor Fakkan.
Eng Ibrahim Al Hawsani, director of branches in the department, said they attended to all the needs of the Emirati family and their maid.
"The family shall remain in the hotel apartments until the maintenance work is over."
Ibrahim Ali, the house owner, said they were lucky as his son got up just in time as the fire erupted in his bedroom. "The smoke was very heavy, but he managed to get out of the burning room."
"If he had not got up for a few more minutes, he might have suffocated to death," he added.

Close call for another family

A few days ago, eight members of a family, including three women and five children, also had a close call after they inhaled smoke from a fire that erupted in their apartment at Al Nuaimia area in Ajman.
On being alerted, the central operations room of the Sharjah Police immediately dispatched fire fighters, ambulances, paramedics, and rescue teams to the reported site. Water and foam were used in putting out the flames.
Special machines were used in sucking out the thick smoke that left the house totally black, Hawsani said.
Hawsani advised all residents to observe prescribed safety procedures at home.
"Regular maintenance is necessary to fix any possible gas leak as well as torn or worn out parts."
Records show that many of these fires were caused due to poor maintenance, bad quality supplies, gas leaks, scorching temperature, and lack of awareness on the proper way to handle such emergency situations, he underlined.
ahmedshaaban@khaleejtimes.com


More news from Emergencies