Covid-19: 2 Iranians die from new coronavirus
Iran's semi-official news agency says authorities had confirmed two cases earlier today.
The new coronavirus has killed two elderly Iranian citizens, Iranís state-run IRNA news agency reported Wednesday.
IRNA quoted Alireza Vahabzadeh, an adviser to the countryís health minister, as saying that both of the victims had been carrying Covid-19 and were located in Qom, about 140 kilometers (86 miles) south of the capital Tehran. No additional details were released.
†Also read: Advisory for Chinese expats in UAE
Earlier on Wednesday, Iranian authorities confirmed two cases of the new virus, the first in the country, according to the semi-official ISNA news agency. Officials later said the two patients had died.
ISNA quoted an official in the countryís health ministry, Kiyanoush Jahanpour, as saying that ďsince last two days, some suspected cases of the new coronavirus were found.Ē
The virus causes the illness that the World Health Organization recently named COVID-19, referring to its origin late last year and the coronavirus that causes it.
The new virus emerged in China in December. Since then, more than 75,000 people have been infected globally, with more than 2,000 deaths being reported, mostly in China.
The new virus comes from a large family of what are known as coronaviruses, some causing nothing worse than a cold. It causes cold- and flu-like symptoms, including cough and fever, and in more severe cases, shortness of breath. It can worsen to pneumonia, which can be fatal.
First detected in China, the virus is believed to have originated in a type of wild animal sold at a Chinese market to be consumed as food.
Iran has applied safety measure on arrival flights at its airports to control a possible spread of the virus.
Elsewhere in the Middle East, nine cases have been confirmed in the United Arab Emirates, seven of them Chinese nationals, one Indian and one Filipino, while Egyptís Health Ministry confirmed its first case last Friday.
Egyptís Health Ministry only identified its sole case as a foreigner who is carrying the virus but not showing any serious symptoms. The ministry said the person was hospitalized and in isolation. It did not specify the personís nationality or what port of entry he or she arrived at in Egypt.
The case in Egypt was also the first on the African continent. Experts and African leaders have expressed concern that should the virus spread there, it might wreak havoc among less developed countries with fewer health resources.
U.S President's close ally Jair Bolsonaro has dismissed the danger of ... READ MORE
U.S President says it is a matter of life or death as he urges people ... READ MORE
Madinah College sets up fundraising page for funeral costs of... READ MORE
Antonio Guterres expresses concern that pandemic could trigger... READ MORE
Customers will not be charged anything either. READ MORE
The lab is the first in the world of this scale to be operational... READ MORE
Residents have also been given a hotline they can call on by local... READ MORE
The public are urged to stay at home as much as possible, and only go ... READ MORE