Sushant Singh Rajput case: FIR against Rhea Chakraborty decoded
Father alleges blackmail, abetment to suicide, unlawful confinement among other things
The quest for justice in the Sushant Singh Rajput case has taken a new turn, with his father KK Singh filing an FIR on Tuesday against the actor's 'girlfriend' - Bollywood actress Rhea Chakraborty - and her family members, accusing her of extortion and blackmail, among other things. As the demand for a CBI enquiry into Rajput's death intensified, with fans and many on social media platforms actively seeking intervention, the family's statement has come as a shock. While many had blamed the camps within Bollywood and nepotism in particular for the actor's tragic end, the latest revelation from the family, will hopefully help bring closure to a case that has ignited national debate in India and drawn eyes from across the world.
Here are some pointers from the FIR:
* The case has been lodged under various sections of the Indian Penal Code including 341 (punishment for wrongful restraint), 342 (punishment for wrongful confinement), 380 (theft in dwelling house), 406 (punishment for criminal breach of trust), 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property) and 306 (abetment of suicide) and 120(B).
* Sanjay Singh, inspector general of police (Patna Central Zone), revealed, "Sushant's father has made a serious charge against Rhea and her family. He has alleged that she had kept Sushant away from his family and completely in her possession. She was also handling his bank account. It was also reported that crores of rupees were withdrawn from his bank account."
* Sushant's father alleged in the FIR that on June 8 when Rhea Chakraborty found that his son's bank balance was going down, she left his house with cash, jewellery, laptop, credit card, its PIN number and password and important documents and doctors' receipts.
* He also alleged that Sushant called his sister and told her that Rhea had threatened to show his medical reports to the media and would prove him mad. Thereafter, no person would give him work.
* He further alleged, "On June 8, Sushant's secretary Disha committed suicide. Rhea had appointed her as Sushant's secretary. Later, Rhea blocked Sushant's number on her cell. Sushant was afraid that Rhea could have made him responsible for the suicide as she had threatened to frame him in the secretary's suicide case."
* In his complaint, Sushant's father has also sought to invoke the provisions of the Mental Health Care Act, alleging that the "machinations" of Rhea and her family members had caused his son to crack up, despite a successful career in films, and ultimately drove him to suicide.
* Singh has also accused Rhea of having befriended Rajput in May 2019 with a clear intent to use his good contacts for the advancement of her own career.
* He has also alleged that the actress was aided by her family members, including her parents, since they all were looking to "purloin the assets of my son worth crores of rupees and started interfering in all aspects of his life."
* He wants a police investigation to ascertain where the Rs15 crore deposited in a bank account held by Sushant was transferred.
* The complaint alleged that Rhea and her family convinced Sushant to leave his own residence and stay at a resort in the vicinity of Mumbai claiming his house was "haunted".
* Further allegations claim that Rhea got Sushant treated by some "conniving" doctors for mental illness while keeping his family in the dark.
* Singh also said, "At one point of time, my son decided to give up films, settle down in Coorg and pursue farming. He was blackmailed by Rhea who threatened him that she would make his medical history public and let the world know that he was mentally unstable, putting his career in jeopardy."