Man denies charge of assault on friend leading to death

DUBAI — A man accused of assaulting a long-time friend in an inebriated condition, which led to his death, denied the charge on Sunday in the Court of 
First Instance.

By Mary Nammour

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 22 Nov 2010, 11:51 PM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 4:06 PM

The 40-year-old manager, a Palestinian national, told the Presiding Judge of the Court of First Instance Fahmi Mounir Fahmi that he was innocent of pushing his friend, a 38-year-old Emirati national, to the ground and punching him several times on his face and chest following which his head hit the ground.

According to the Public Prosecution arraignment sheet, the assault later led to the national’s death.

The defendant also denied the charge of consuming liquor.

He is charged with assault leading to death and use of liquor.

The victim, who died about three days after the assault at the Emergency Room of Rashid Hospital, was diagnosed with AIDS, pneumonia, severe breathing problems and kidney failure. He had also rib fracture due to a bike fall. The defendant was arrested on March 17, last year at an apartment hotel in Ajman after receiving a complaint from the victim’s brother.

An Emirati lieutenant told the prosecutor that after receiving the complaint they started an investigation to arrest whoever was involved in the assault.

The police checked the incoming calls on the victim’s mobile phone and they found that the defendant and a Russian woman called the victim many times before his death.

The defendant said during the investigation that he and the victim had been friends for a long time.

He alleged that on the morning of March 12 he was with the victim and two women, including the Russian (22) and an Uzbekistani (38), at a hotel room in Murraqabat.

He said that the Uzbekistani had to leave after the victim assaulted her.

Afterwards, they went to another hotel where they stayed for a few hours.

The defendant was driving the victim’s car as the Emirati, who was lying in the back, was very intoxicated.

In his statement, he said that the victim was touching and trying to kiss the Russian woman in the car. When they stopped the car in Al Qusais the victim wanted to assault her, which resulted in a fight between the defendant and the victim. He alleged that the victim punched him, broke his spectacles, tore his shirt and made him bleed.

To defend himself, he stopped the victim from moving by sitting atop him and punching him. After a while they both calmed down and the victim left in his car.

Two brothers of the victim said during the investigation that they tried to take him to hospital several times prior to his death. They said that he had returned home early in the morning of March 14 and he looked in a mess and was bleeding. The victim, who also had severe breathing problems, only said that he had injuries because of a bike fall.

The Public Prosecution had photos and video tape of the defendant’s re-enactment of his assault of the victim in the crime scene, attached to the case file. —

More news from