Blood money impasse hits Sharjah death row case

SHARJAH — Stalled negotiations over blood money have forced the Sharjah Court of Appeal to adjourn again its hearing to June 20, the case of 17 Indians who were sentenced to death by the Sharjah Sharia Court for the murder of a Pakistani man in a bootlegging rivalry.



by

Amira Agarib

Published: Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:49 AM

Last updated: Thu 2 Apr 2015, 7:35 AM

Mohammed Ramadan, who represents the family of the Pakistani victim, told the judge that the family would settle for Dh5.5 million as ‘diya’ (blood money).

He said they would seek death penalty (Qasas) if the said amount was not paid . Mohammed Salman, lawyer for the accused, told Khaleej Times: ‘‘We offered blood money of Dh442,000 during the last hearing and the judge at Sharjah Court of Appeal has asked the family to take a decision.’’

He said a year had passed and no settlement had been reached and this was the tenth hearing. “I think it is better to reach a negotiated settlement in this case. It will save legal costs,’’ said Salman

He said the victim’s family should accept the money and close the issue, or continue the court hearing.

Dubai-based Indian hotelier and Chairman of Apex Group, SP Singh Oberoi, had coordinated efforts to pay compensation to the family of the victim. Following the breakdown in negotiations, he said he would send his representatives to Pakistan next week to meet the family.

Meanwhile, another Indian businessman, Baljeet Singh Khalsa, who had promised to raise funds for the accused, said he was not given the power of attorney to meet the inmates.

According to Indian Press reports, the 17 Indians accused and their families had alleged that Khalsa was sabotaging the case.

The Sharjah Sharia Court had sentenced the 17 Indian suspects to death on March 28 this year.

Court records said the suspects had collectively attacked the victim using sharp weapons, causing several injuries to him, including a fracture on his head.

They were also charged with attempting to kill three other people, who were all admitted to the Kuwaiti Hospital after the alleged brawl.

amira@khaleejtimes.com


More news from