Sandstorm in Dubai? Najm Sohail app will tell you


Sandstorm in Dubai? Najm Sohail app will tell you

Early weather warning mobile app launched

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:14 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 10:48 PM

Residents and authorities can now prepare for dusty and stormy conditions in Dubai 48 hours in advance with just a click on their smart phones, thanks to the launch of a mobile app by the Dubai Municipality.

Najm Sohail, is the name of the early weather warning application that can forecast sandstorm in Dubai for up to two days.

The app was launched by the Director General of Dubai Municipality Hussain Nasser Lootah and Major-General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Commander-in-Chief of the Dubai Police.

The release follows the launch of an early meteorological warning system that took place during the Gitex Exhibition last October.

Jointly developed by the Geodesy and Hydrographic Survey Section of Dubai Municipality and Unique System FZE, the system provides real time monitoring, alerts, warnings and timely dissemination of information to departments concerned.

The early warning system is expected to help prevent road accidents and take precautions for people who are asthmatic and allergic to dust. It will also help authorities make safety plans for bad weather conditions.

The Director of the Survey Department at Dubai Municipality Mohammed Mahmoud Mashroom told Khaleej Times the launch of the mobile app gives the public access to the data from the system that was hitherto used only by the departments concerned.

The app, he pointed out, will also save registered users the task of visiting the website each time they wish to be alerted.

Eman Ahmed Al Khatibi, head of Geodesy and Hydro-graphic Section said: “When the system is more sure of the possibility of a sandstorm it sends an alert of 70 per cent chance for sandstorm. When there is less probability, it will indicate 30 per cent chance.”

Users will also be able to see pink dots covering up the areas which will be hit by sandstorm. The pink dots will also be seen during dusty conditions due to heavy winds.

Al Khaitibi said users of the latest Android platform can download the app from Google Play Store by searching for Najm Sohail.

The new system is an extension to the Dubai Municipality’s existing Fog Monitoring and Forecasting System. The data on the weather conditions are beamed from the 16 weather monitoring stations in Dubai, including two offshore ones. The monitoring stations will also issue alerts on low visibility due to sandstorm in advance.

The municipality passes on these alerts to its strategic partner Dubai Police which in turn conveys the message to other relevant authorities.

More news from