Ras Al Khaimah
Logo
 

RAK imports extra animals to meet high Eid demand

Ahmed Shaaban /Ras Al Khaimah
ahmedshaaban@khaleejtimes.com Filed on September 8, 2016
RAK imports extra animals to meet high Eid demand

More animal shipments are expected in the coming days, Dr Al Nuaimi stated.

In time for the busy Eid Al Adha holiday, 45,000 extra animals are being brought into the country on more than 20 ships to meet the high demand for sacrifical animals. This is expected to result in a significant drop in cattle price.

The announcement was made by Dr Hashim Al Nuaimi, director of the Consumer Protection Department, in Ras Al Khaimah. "Up to 6,000 animals arrived at the Ras Al Khaimah animal markets on Tuesday morning."

The recent updated official figures show that local farms and barns around the UAE only cover 70 per cent of the local market needs, he stated. "Therefore, we import the remaining 30 percent from other Arab and foreign countries, including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Sudan, Australia, India, and Georgia."

More animal shipments are expected in the coming days, Dr Al Nuaimi stated. "Over 20 ships with 45,000 animals have arrived at the animal markets of the country to cover the local market's needs. "Up to 25,000 cows have already been imported from different countries."

A number deals have been made to buy some 120,000 different types of animals from India, he said.

Dr Al Nuaimi said that the 65 border crossing points of RAK have informed the Ministry of Economy office that they would offer big discounts - up to 50 per cent - on goods, veggies, fruits, foodstuff, and sweets. "The move is meant to ease the customers' shopping troubles, help them buy their requirements against affordable prices, and bring them happiness during the Eid Al Adha holiday."

The Consumer Protection Department also turned down the requests of six fish and meat restaurants to raise the grilling price to Dh10 per kilogram recently. "The price shall remain unchanged at Dh5," Dr Al Nuaimi noted.

ahmedshaaban@khaleejtimes.com

Ahmed Shaaban


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM UAE
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /nation/ras-al-khaimah/uae-police-help-mother-who-went-into-labour-on-new-years-eve-1 macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery