Saudi King Salman has successful surgery: Royal Court

Saudi King Salman, successful, surgery, remove, gallbladder, Riyadh

Riyadh - Saudi Crown Prince reassures Donald Trump of 84-year-old's health following the procedure.



By Reuters

Published: Thu 23 Jul 2020, 10:36 PM

Last updated: Fri 31 Jul 2020, 9:59 AM

The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia, underwent successful surgery Thursday to remove his gallbladder, the royal court said, three days after he was admitted to hospital.
The 84-year-old king is the second reigning monarch in the Gulf to be hospitalised recently, after the Amir of Kuwait, His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah.

The king "underwent a laparoscopic surgery to remove the gall bladder today... at King Faisal specialist hospital in Riyadh," the royal court said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
The king will remain in hospital for some time after the "successful" surgery, the statement added.
US President Donald Trump was "reassured of the health" of the king during a phone call on Thursday with Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz, Saudi Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence, SPA reported.
The monarch was admitted to hospital on Monday "for some medical tests" due to inflammation of the gall bladder, according to the royal court.
The king's hospitalisation prompted Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa Al Kadhemi to postpone his scheduled visit to Saudi Arabia, which had been due to start on Monday this week.
A video released by state media on Tuesday showed the king chairing a virtual cabinet meeting from hospital.


More news from