Bodies in water tank: Two nabbed

SHARJAH — The Sharjah Police have arrested two Bangladeshi men in connection with the death of two workers whose decomposed bodies were found in a water tank at a labour accommodation in Industrial Area 15.

By (Afkar Abdullah)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:48 PM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 10:25 AM

The main suspect allegedly killed the victims as one of them had cheated him after taking money for arranging a visa.

A police officer said the bodies of the Bangladeshi workers were found 10 days ago when workers of a construction company cleaned the water tank at their accommodation after noticing foul smell. The company’s owner called the police.

“The victims were completely disfigured and the heads covered in plastic bags. Underneath the bodies, the police found one victim’s identification document that had his name and photograph. He worked for the same company,” said the officer.

Subsequent investigation proved that the second victim also worked at the same company, and that both of them had been reported missing for nearly one year.

“The victims’ families in Bangladesh had no idea as to what had happened to them. After questioning family members who worked in Sharjah, we were able to identify a suspect,” the officer said.

After further investigation, police arrested the man who eventually confessed that he carried out the crime with the help of an accomplice.

“The suspect claimed that he killed one of the workers because the latter cheated him. He had given that worker Dh12,000 for arranging a visa in August last year. However, the victim was not able to fulfil his promise and had been making excuses. On the day of the incident, the suspect lost his temper and smashed him with an iron rod and strangled him with a cord,” he said.

The victim’s friend who was nearby came to the scene hearing the screams. The suspect then hit him and killed him, before calling up a friend to help him clean the scene up.

With the help of his accomplice, the suspect dumped the bodies in the water tank.

The suspects are still detained and the case will be transferred to the Public Prosecution soon.

More news from