Dubai and Wasl play out to goalless draw

Bottom-of-the-table Dubai held Al Wasl to a 0-0 draw at the Zabeel Stadium in Round 20 of the Arabian Gulf League on Saturday evening.

By (KT Report)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sun 23 Mar 2014, 12:28 PM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 9:19 PM

The shared points do little to change the outlooks for either side as Al Wasl remain 10th on 21 points whilst Dubai continue to prop up the rest of the League with 10 points in last place.

On Friday night, Sharjah and Al Nasr played out their second Arabian Gulf League stalemate of the season with a 0-0 draw at the Sharjah Stadium in Round 20. Neither side has been capable of breaking the deadlock on the two occasions upon which they have met this campaign, with both teams cancelling the other out. The shared points give Sharjah a total of 35 in 4th place and Al Nasr stay 5th with 31.

An early shot from Ahmed Khamis was blocked behind for a Sharjah corner but the chance didn’t set the tone for the rest of the goalless first half, which saw few clear-cut opportunities for either side.

Hassan Mohamed had a rising shot over the crossbar for Al Nasr and in the 44th minute Ahmad Shambieh saved Ze Carlos’ fierce shot from outside the box, with Leo Lima able to clear the ball away. Al Nasr immediately streamed up to the other end but Hassan Mohamed and Brett Holman’s combined efforts were blocked.

Straight from the second half kick-off, Sharjah went close to breaking the deadlock but Ahmad Shambieh sprang across his goalmouth to catch Yousif Saeed’s header. Al Nasr suffered an injury blow in the 63rd minute when Ali Hussain had to be stretchered off and replaced by Alhusain Saleh. In the 70th minute Shambieh denied Ze Carlos at the near post, pushing the Brazilian’s shot onto the upright before it bounced away to safety.

In the 76th minute Al Nasr had their best opening of the second half so far as Holman released Alhusain Saleh, but after rounding the ’keeper Mohamed Yousif, the angle was too tight and the substitute could only find the side netting. Two minutes later Mahmoud Khamis stepped up to take one of his trademark free kicks from 30 yards but this time he misjudged the effort and it flew over the crossbar.

In injury time, a diving header from the hardworking Brett Holman was comfortably saved by Mohamed Yousif and Al Nasr again went close through Hassan Mohamed from a late corner kick and Fellype Gabriel directed a header on target from a free kick, but in the end nothing could separate the sides.

More news from