Accused caught on camera stalking woman inside mall

Top Stories

Accused caught on camera stalking woman inside mall

Dubai - 48-year-old says that he has only offered to help her load purchases inside her car

By Marie Nammour

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 27 Jul 2016, 5:19 PM

Last updated: Thu 28 Jul 2016, 8:32 AM

A man, accused of groping a female shopper in the car park of a mall, was caught on cameras stalking her inside the mall.
The 48-year-old manager from Turkey was accused of stalking the woman in the shopping centre and sexually harassing her on November 8, last year.
He denied the molestation charge in the Court of First Instance.
However, he was caught on CCTV cameras stalking her in a hypermarket as well as a pharmacy and following her to her car.
He claimed during the investigation that he only offered to help load her purchases inside her car.
The woman, a 40-year-old Austrian housewife, said that she was in front of the cashier when the accused offered to help her put the items in the bags. "I thanked him and said no".
She was loading the stuff in her car when the accused approached and asked her whether she wanted to meet him, she said.
"I told him I am married and to asked him to leave. As I was stepping inside my car, to my big surprise, he touched me."
He ran away as she screamed. She called her husband and was told to bring their kids from school and then go back to the mall to report the suspect.
The shopping centre security guards checked the CCTV cameras with her.
She gave a statement to the police and was summoned in the end of January to Jebel Ali police station where she identified the defendant.
A police sergeant said that the defendant was caught stalking the woman inside the shopping mall.
"We tracked him to his workplace. He said he was indeed in the mall and was walking in the parking lot when he saw the woman. He claimed he just asked her whether she needed help in loading the bags. He said he left when she said she did not," the sergeant said.
The hearing has been adjourned to August 11.

More news from