Typhoon Mangkhut: EU announces 2 million euros in aid to Philippines
On Tuesday, the death toll due to Mangkhut climbed to 74 in the Philippines.
The EU on Tuesday announced an emergency aid package worth two million euros to help victims of typhoon Mangkhut in the Philippines.
The funds will be given to humanitarian organizations already working in affected areas and "will address the most urgent needs of the communities stricken by the typhoon", Efe news reported.
"The EU is supporting those in need in the Philippines, many of whom are suffering the devastating effects of the cyclone," said European Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management, Christos Stylianides.
"Our contribution will provide shelter, emergency relief items distribution, water and sanitation, food security for the most vulnerable among those who have lost their homes," he added.
The European Commission's emergency satellite mapping service Copernicus was being used to map the most affected areas and a humanitarian expert had been deployed to assess the needs on the ground, according to the statement.
On Tuesday, the death toll due to Mangkhut climbed to 74 in the Philippines as rescue teams continued to search for dozens of people buried in an abandoned mine, which collapsed owing to landslides.
Mangkhut, the strongest typhoon of the season, had lashed parts of Luzon island on the northernmost tip of the Philippines on Saturday.
The bill has yet to be proposed in parliament but is expected to... READ MORE
Nation plunges into its worst constitutional crisis in two decades... READ MORE
Covid-19 vaccine could halve virus transmission, says BioNTech... READ MORE
Trump has refused to concede the November 3 US election to challenger ... READ MORE
More than 16.7 million Covid-19 tests have been carried out in the... READ MORE
1,607 Emiratis will benefit from the scheme READ MORE
The penalty for the violation is Dh1,000 fine and four black points READ MORE
#Proud_of_your_sacrifices trends on social media as residents pay... READ MORE