Legal View

K.K. Sarachandra Bose is a Partner/ Corporate, Commercial and Contract Lawyer at Dar Al Adalah Advocates and Legal Consultants. Readers may e-mail their questions to: or send them to (Legal View), Khaleej Times, Dubai P.O Box 11243.

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 12:07 AM

Last updated: Sun 5 Apr 2015, 7:59 PM

Attested Marriage CertificateMust to Apply for ResidenceVisa for Wife and Children

Q) I am planning to get a family visa for my wife, but our marriage certificate is not attested by the consulate. Do I need to do that? What is the procedure required to get a residence visa for my wife and kids? Do I need to have my wife’s original passport?

A) To sponsor your family you should have a minimum salary of Dh3,000 plus accommodation provided by your employer or a total salary of Dh4000.

In order to sponsor your wife and children under residence visa status, marriage certificate and your children’s birth certificates have to be duly authenticated in your home country including the attestation of the UAE Embassy or consulate in your country.

Then it has to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the UAE and by embassy or consulate of your country in the UAE. Dependents’ original passports are not required at the time of submitting the visa applications for residence visa. Photocopies of the passports are enough to apply for family visafor dependents.

Q) I have a bank account for the past 11 years. I also have a gold Visa credit card. The payment for the card has always been done by auto debit from my bank account. The bank, unexpectedly, has debited the payment twice from my bank account, towards credit card payment, last March. Unfortunately, I issued a cheque to a college in Dubai towards the payment of the fees for the same month (March).

Now, because of this double deduction from my account, the cheque issued to the college has bounced. Isn’t the bank responsible for this? I have expressed my grievance to the bank over the phone and also faxed them a complaint letter. However, there has been no response from the bank till now. Please advise me on how to take up this issue with the bank for causing me financial and mental stress.

A) I advise you to visit the bank branch and meet the officer concerned personally and file a written complaintregarding your problem.

If they do not take proper action, or you are not satisfied with their explanation, you may then proceed to take legal action against the bank.

Q) I had employed a manager in my salon who worked for the past three years. After finishing her contract, she resigned saying she was returning to her country. I cancelled her visa after paying all her dues, but two weeks later I found out that she was working in another salon close to mine. She had taken all my clients’ telephone numbers and is now calling and sending messages to them to come to her new salon. She has offered them discounts for the next two months. She is also trying to lure some of my staff to work with her. Are there any legal measures I can take to stop her from damaging my business?

A) You have not explained whether you had a non-competition clause in your labour contract with her.

If there is no such a clause, it may not be easy for you to prove your allegations in a court of law. You may be aware that UAE is a free market economy. You may consult a lawyer and seek remedy.

Compiled by Ahmed Shaaban

More news from