Enjoy our faster App experience

World's shortest IQ test that has 3 questions; can you answer them all?

world’s shortest IQ test, maths, intelligence, three maths questions,

Called the Cognitive Reflection Test, the set of questions are originally part of a research paper.

By Web Report

Published: Wed 24 Jul 2019, 4:33 PM

The world's shortest IQ test will grill people with just three math questions, and only 17 per cent have managed to answer all correctly.
Called the Cognitive Reflection Test, the set of questions are originally part of a research paper published in 2005 by MIT professor Shane Frederick. Resurfaced online only recently, the shortest IQ test has taken internet by storm with many giving it a try.
Professor Frederick asked over 3,000 participants from various educational backgrounds to complete the test which included those attending top American universities such as Yale and Harvard. Surprisingly, several struggled to give correct answers to the three questions with only 17 per cent scoring three out of three, while the rest 83 per cent failed.
Speaking about the test, Professor Frederick, said, "The three items on the CRT are 'easy' in the sense that their solution is easily understood when explained, yet reaching the correct answer often requires the suppression of an erroneous answer that springs 'impulsively' to mind."
Shortest IQ test quiz:
1-A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
2-If it takes five machines five minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3-In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?
The three most common answers people give are:
1-10 cents
2-100 minutes
3-24 days
But, they are actually wrong and the correct answers instead are 1. 5 cents, 2. 5 minutes and 47 days respectively. Mirror.co.uk quoted Professor Frederick as saying, "Anyone who reflects upon it would recognise that the difference between $1 and 10 cents is only 90 cents, not $1 as the problem stipulates."

More news from WORLD