Telangana strike hits normal life

HYDERABAD - Normal life in Hyderabad and nine districts of Telangana region was paralysed on Friday as educational institutions, banks, shops and other business establishments downed their shutters following the one-day shutdown call given by the Telangana Joint Action Committee (TJAC).

By (P S Jayaram)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:46 AM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 10:13 PM

The shutdown call was given in protest against the state government disallowing Telangana leaders from paying homage to M Yadi Reddy, a 28-year-old youth who committed suicide near Parliament in New Delhi on Wednesday in support of the separate Telangana statehood cause. TJAC was also protesting against the state government’s threat to use the provisions of the Essential Services Maintenance Act (ESMA) if government employees launched the proposed ‘non-cooperation’ movement from August 1.

The state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) also pulled off all services in the region after at least 20 buses were damaged in stone-pelting by Telangana activists in the morning. Some drivers and conductors of APSRTC were also injured in the stone-pelting in suburban LB Nagar, sources said, adding that eight buses were damaged in Bowenpally, another suburb. Buses remained in the depots in almost all the districts of the region as activists blocked the entry and exit gates.

Meanwhile, the body of Yadi Reddy, was shifted to his native place Pedamangalaram village near Hyderabad amid tight security and high drama after it arrived at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Shamshabad last evening. The waiting media was not allowed to enter the airport premises.

Police deployed additional forces on the roads leading to the airport to prevent Telangana activists from reaching there. Roads leading to the airport from Srisailam route and from Shamshabad side were cordoned off and central paramilitary forces including Rapid Action Force (RAF) were deployed. Nearly 4,000 policemen were deployed on the roads leading from the airport to Moinabad, sources said.

Hundreds of TRS, BJP, TDP and pro-Telangana activists tried to enter the airport but were prevented by the police at the main entrance. Media personnel were also stopped on the roads leading to the airport.

The activists squatted on the road and demanded the resignation of Union Petroleum Minister S Jaipal Reddy. Police took the protesting Telangana activists and media personnel into custody and shifted them to Rajendranagar and Pahadisharief police station.

More news from