Tearful adieu to India's first female superstar Sridevi

Top Stories

Officials at the Indian Consulate in Dubai confirmed news of the actor’s death to Khaleej Times
Officials at the Indian Consulate in Dubai confirmed news of the actor's death to Khaleej Times

Iconic Indian actor succumbs to massive cardic arrest at 54. She was in Dubai on a private visit

By Amira Agarib and Dhanusha Gokulan

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Sun 25 Feb 2018, 9:00 PM

Last updated: Sun 25 Feb 2018, 11:34 PM

The UAE residents on Sunday woke up with the shocking news of the untimely death of Sridevi, India's first and most iconic Indian female superstar, in Dubai. 
The Bollywood actor met with her end, due to a massive cardiac arrest, in a room at the Emirates Towers Hotel, Dubai late Saturday night. Sridevi, her husband Boney Kapoor, and her younger daughter Khushi Kapoor were in Ras Al Khaimah to celebrate the wedding festivities of her nephew Mohit Marwah.
Officials at the Indian Consulate in Dubai confirmed news of the actor's death to Khaleej Times early Sunday morning, though reports of her death broke out Saturday night.
It is said that the actor passed away inside her hotel room after she suffered a fainting spell inside the hotel bathroom. She was later found by her husband director Boney Kapoor.
"This was shocking to all of us. We are still in a state of shock and are heartbroken," said Sanjay Kapoor, the younger brother of Bollywood producer Boney Kapoor and Sridevi's brother-in-law. He arrived in Dubai following the tragic news of Sridevi's demise.
Before moving to the Emirates Towers in Dubai, the couple was reportedly living at the Waldorf Astoria in Ras Al Khaimah, where the wedding parties took place, and they checked out on Thursday.
Meanwhile, a statement issued by the family read: "Boney Kapoor, Jhanvi, Khushi & the entire Kapoor, Ayyappan and Marwah family is deeply bereaved and shocked with the untimely loss of #Sridevi Kapoor. We thank the entire media for their prayers, support and sensitivity during their time of grief."
The body was moved to the general department of forensic medicine in Al Qusais, where repatriation processes were delayed due to procedural delays. On Sunday evening at 5.30pm, officials revealed that the autopsy of Sridevi's body has been completed and the family was awaiting laboratory reports conducted by the general department of forensic evidence, Dubai.
Officials also revealed that Dr Khaled Alburaiki at the forensics department performed the autopsy. An official told Khaleej Times: "As she is such a high-profile personality, we cannot rush the inquisition or the post-mortem procedures."  Till 6.30pm on Sunday, procedures were ongoing at the general department of forensic science and criminology, and only once it is complete, would the body be moved to Muhaisana for embalming and other administrative procedures. Officials also said that as per usual protocols, these tests take up to 24 hours in the case of death of all persons who have died outside a hospital in Dubai. The same safety and administrative protocols were followed by the Dubai Police in this case as well.
An Indian Consulate official was with the family on Saturday and Sunday, helping them to expedite procedures for repatriation. Consul General of India Vipul said: "We are constantly working with the Dubai Police to expedite the procedure to repatriate her body to India."
Indian Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Singh Suri tweeted his condolences to the family stating: "Absolutely shocked to get the report about untimely demise of Sridevi.
Meanwhile, the Indian ambassador told Khaleej Times: "We are working with the Indian Consulate in Dubai and the local government and we are in touch with the family to help repatriate her body to India as soon as possible."
amira@khaleejtimes.com & dhanusha@khaleejtimes.com

More news from