Participants at Pope Francis's Mass in Canada on Thursday unfurled a banner asking him to formally rescind edicts from the 15th century in which the papacy justified taking indigenous land.
The large banner protesting the doctrine of discovery was unfurled near the front row facing the congregation as the pope was starting Mass in a cathedral outside Quebec City. Most of the people in the church were indigenous.
Two women held up the banner, written on a white sheet with red and black letters, and later took it down themselves.
It was not clear if the pope, who was behind the banner, was able to see what it said.
The doctrine of discovery was enshrined in 15th-century papal bulls, or edicts. Indigenous people in Canada have been calling for its rescinding for years. In 2015, Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which spent six years investigating residential schools, listed its repudiation as one of 94 calls to action that it laid out.
Francis is on a week-long tour of Canada to apologise for the church's role in the abusive residential schools system, which removed indigenous children from their homes in a forced cultural assimilation program.
A spokesperson for papal visit organizers said Canadian bishops are asking the pope to address the doctrine of discovery.
"Galvanized by the calls of our Indigenous Partners, and by the Holy Father’s remarks, we are working with the Vatican and those who have studied this issue, with the goal of issuing a new statement from the Church," Laryssa Waler wrote in an email Thursday.
"Canada’s Bishops continue to reject and resist the ideas associated with the Doctrine of Discovery in the strongest possible way." Massimo Faggioli, a professor of theology and religious studies at Villanova University, said the pope was unlikely to formally rescind the doctrine but he should address it.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also "discussed the need to ... address the Doctrine of Discovery" in a meeting with the pontiff on Wednesday, according to a readout from his office on Thursday.
With memories of recent challenges still fresh, they are taking proactive measures to ensure their safety and safeguard their belongings
Earlier in the day, England were bowled out for 353 with Joe Root unbeaten on 122
Monfils, the former world number six, recently became the oldest semifinalist in Qatar Open
The 500-kilogram explosive was discovered in the backyard of a home in Plymouth and more than 10,000 residents were evacuated
Godolphin handler sweeps three of the four Group contests as Bahrain's Fawzi Nass saddles Manama Gold to third win in Dubai
The authority has urged motorists to be careful and stay safe