Oslo police defend time gap to capture killer

OSLO — Norwegian police on Sunday defended the gap between first learning of mass killer Anders Behring Breivik’s island shooting spree and his arrest on Friday evening.

By (AFP)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:26 AM

Last updated: Mon 6 Apr 2015, 10:17 PM

Amid heavy criticism after police initially said it took an hour and a half to get to the scene of the second massacre, which saw 86 people lose their lives in a hail of bullets shortly after seven died in central Oslo bombings, senior police officer Johan Fredriksen told a news briefing the gap was closer to an hour.

Fredriksen said that there was an eight-minute gap between the time local police on Utoeya island first notified Oslo authorities, at 5:30 pm (1530 GMT), and formally requested help at 5:38 pm.

A squad of heavily armed Oslo police arrived on the island by boat at 6:25 pm, he said, with Behring Breivik surrendering two minutes later.

Fredriksen said there was ‘no resistance’ because of the volume of police, but that the suspect ‘had used two weapons and he had been and still was in possession of a significant amount of ammunition’.

Earlier, sources said that insufficient numbers of inadequately armed police had initially arrived in a helicopter before realising greater reinforcements were needed.

Acting police commissioner Sveinung Sponheim said that all the dead had now been removed from the island.

‘The bodies have been taken out Utoeya and taken to the coroner’s morgue where the autopsies will be carried out,’ Sponheim said.



More news from