No arrest yet in Imran Farooq’s case: British home secretary

ISLAMABAD - British Home Secretary Theresa May said on Thursday that no arrests had been made in connection with the Dr Imran Farooq murder case.



By (Our Correspondent)

Published: Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:26 AM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 12:25 AM

Speaking to the media after meeting Interior Minister Rehman Malik in Islamabad, May ruled out that any arrests had been made in the case and said that an investigation in the case was still underway.

London Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan How had last week said that two alleged killers of Dr Imran Farooq were arrested in Karachi.

The Police Commissioner had been quoted by a London-based newspaper as saying that the killers would not be allowed to roam freely on the streets of London. He had also said that London Police was working with Pakistan in Dr Imran Farooq’s murder case.

Malik had also denied that any arrests had been made in the case.

The British home secretary, who is on an official visit to Islamabad, met Malik to discuss bilateral issues. The two also discussed cooperation between the two countries in various departments, including security.

May said that the United Kingdom shared a powerful interest in fighting extremist-driven terrorism. She added that Pakistan was on the frontline and had made tremendous sacrifices in striving for a stable region and a world free from extremist violence.

The government of Azad Jammu & Kashmir has suspended the basic citizenship of British parliamentarian Lord Nazir Ahmad for supporting Zulfikar Mirza in the UK.

Lord Nazir has faced criticism from the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) for his support to Mirza during his visit to the UK. He has been seen at Mirza’s lectures, and sources have also said that he accompanied the former Sindh home minister during his visit to Scotland Yard to hand over evidence against MQM chief Altaf Hussain.

news@khaleejtimes.com


More news from WORLD