Man gets sucked into MRI machine at Mumbai hospital, dies

Man gets sucked into MRI machine at Mumbai hospital, dies

Mumbai - The machine's magnetic field got activated pulling both the man and the cylinder with great force.

By Web Report

Published: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:00 PM

Last updated: Mon 29 Jan 2018, 8:46 AM

In a freak incident, a 32-year-old man was killed after he got sucked into an MRI machine at BYL Nair Charitable Hospital in Mumbai on Saturday.
Rajesh Maru was accompanying an elderly relative for an MRI scan and entered the room carrying an oxygen cylinder. Suddenly, the MRI machine with it's mammoth force pulled in the oxygen cylinder along with Maru and his hand got stuck in the machine, causing oxygen leak.
He was pulled out by one of his relatives and hospital ward boys but by then his body was swollen and he was bleeding profusely. Maru was rushed to the hospital's emergency ward but succumbed to injuries within minutes, said his brother-in-law, Harish Solanki.

Maru's relatives have alleged that he lost his life due to a ward boy's negligence who asked him to take the cylinder inside the MRI room whilst the machine was on, according to reports in NDTV.
"When we reminded him that metallic objects are not allowed inside the MRI room, the ward boy said 'sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai' (it's fine, we do it every day). He also said that the machine was switched off.
The doctor as well as the technician didn't say anything. But as soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on. It's because of their carelessness that Rajesh died," Solanki said.

Following the tragic incident, Dr Ramesh Bharmal, dean of the hospital said the hospital management was looking into the accident and appropriate action would be taken.
A police case has been registered against Dr Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan, and one other staff for causing death by negligence.
Meanwhile, BJP lawmaker MP Lodha has demanded compensation and stern action against those responsible for the tragic incident.

More news from