Kerala CPM legislator grilled in activist’s murder case

TRIVANDRUM — Communist Party of India — Marxist (CPM) youth leader and legislator T V Rajesh was grilled by a special investigation team of the Kerala police for three hours on Monday in connection with the murder of Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) activist Abdul Shukoor in Kannur district in February.

By T K Devasia

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:12 AM

Last updated: Fri 3 Apr 2015, 11:41 AM

A team of police officials and technical experts led by Kannur district superintendent of police Rahul R Nair at Kannur town circle inspector’s office amid tight security. Rajesh was directed to appear before the police twice before, but he sought time as he was attending the assembly session.

Rajesh refused to divulge the details of the interrogation. He told reporters after the questioning that he was called by the police to seek some information about the murder and added that he gave replies to all their questions.

Rajesh is the second senior CPM leader to be questioned in connection with the murder. The police had earlier questioned party Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan twice.

The senior CPM leader has been asked to appear at the circle inspector’s office on August 1. Sources said the SIT decided to summon him in the light of certain crucial information they received from Rajesh. Shukkoor was stabbed to death in full view of several people by an alleged group of CPM workers at Keezhara a few hours after a car in which Jayarajan and Rajesh were travelling at Ariyil was stoned on February 20.

The two leaders were questioned on the basis of the statements given by local CPM leaders and activists arrested for the murder of the 21-year-old IUML activist. More than a dozen CPM workers are in judicial custody in connection with the case. The arrested CPM workers had told the police that the conspiracy to murder Shukoor was hatched at the Koothuparampu cooperative medical college hospital, where the two leaders were admitted for treatment. The SIT found that it was a pre-meditated murder to revenge the attack on the CPM leaders’ car.

Shukoor was among the five young men captured by a mob of CPM workers from a house. The captors had taken their photos using their mobile phones and got the photos verified.

After that ‘verification,’ the captors had released three of the captured and held Shukoor and Zakaria. While the latter had fled after he was stabbed, Shukoor’s body was found in a field at Keezhara.

More news from