Narratiive Tags - Khaleej Times Desktop
India
Logo
 

Dreaded Indian gangster Vikas Dubey killed in police encounter: What we know so far

IANS, ANI/Kanpur
Filed on July 10, 2020 | Last updated on July 10, 2020 at 02.42 pm
Dreaded Indian gangster Vikas Dubey,  encounter, gangster, Vikas Dubey killed

(Photo: ANI)

He was shot when he reportedly tried to flee, following a road mishap in which the vehicle he was travelling in overturned.

Gangster Vikas Dubey was killed on Friday morning after being critically injured in an alleged shootout with STF officials. He was shot when he reportedly tried to flee, following a road mishap in which the vehicle he was travelling in overturned. Dubey was taken to the emergency ward of the Hallett Hospital in a blood-soaked condition. SSP Kanpur Dinesh Kumar said that the doctors have confirmed the death of Vikas Dubey.

As media persons converged at the hospital, the gates were closed and STF officials refused to comment on the developments.

Vikas, along with two other police personnel in the vehicle, was injured in the mishap. As soon as Vikas was taken out of the vehicle, he allegedly snatched a pistol from the STF team and tried to fire at the police. He was fatally injured in retaliatory firing.


Vikas received a bullet injury on the chest which proved fatal. Two STF personnel were also injured in the encounter. STF officials admitted to the mishap but refused to say the extent of injuries suffered by the gangster. Earlier, five members of the Vikas Dubey gang have been killed in police encounters over the past seven days.

Latest updates:

Silence is better than many answers: Rahul on Vikas Dubey

Former Congress chief Rahul Gandhi on Friday took a swipe at the BJP government in Uttar Pradesh over dreaded gangster Vikas Dubeys 'encounter, saying silence is better than many answers.

Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra also demanded a probe by a sitting Supreme Court judge to find the truth in the encounter and who gave patronage to the criminals.

In a tweet, Rahul Gandhi said, "Silence is better than many answers. Don't know how many questions have saved the dignity."

Dubey killed to cover up his links: Kapil Sibal

Congress leader Kapil Sibal on Friday said that the encounter killing of gangster Vikas Dubey was predicted by many persons and questioned if it was done to cover up his alleged political links.


"Killed in an encounter. Predicted by many, wilful incompetence. Or, is it a conspiracy to destroy evidence linking Vikas to certain parties and individuals?"

"Commission to investigate politician-police-criminal nexus in UP," the Supreme Court lawyer added.

Opposition leaders speak in one voice - Dubey encounter a 'cover-up'

Gangster Vikas Dubey's killing near Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh this morning drew a slew of charges and claims from different opposition leaders, particularly from the state, including that the 'encounter' was a bid to save the 'big fishes'. Among those who raised a finger of suspicion over the killing were Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Samajwadi Party supremo Akhilesh Yadav, BSP chief Mayawati, Congress' Jitin Prasada, and RLD leader Jayant Chaudhury.

Vikas Dubey took 3 bullets on chest

Slain gangster Vikas Dubey took three bullets to his chest and one on his arm. The bullet injuries on the chest proved fatal for the gangster who was slain in an encounter with the Special Task Force when he reportedly tried to flee. He was being brought back to Kanpur from Ujjain on a transit remand after he apparently surrendered following his surfacing in the Mahakaal temple of Madhya Pradesh, seven days since he and his aides ambushed and killed eight policemen in Bikru village.

Dr R.B. Kamal, Principal of the Lal Lajpat Rai hospital where Dubey was brought after being shot, said that the condition of the three injured police personnel, who were hit in the gun battle, were stable. He said that the bullets brushed by two of them.

Th doctor's statement makes it clear that Vikas Dubey was shot from the front and not while he was running away. If that had been so, the bullets would have hit him from the back.

Slain gangster's father comes alive after 7 years

In a bizarre development, the 'dead' father of slain gangster Amar Dubey, Sanjeev Dubey, came alive on Thursday evening during a police operation in the Bikru village where the ambush in which eight policemen were killed on July 3, had taken place. Amar Dubey, a trusted lieutenant of Vikas Dubey and a co-accused in the Bikru massacre, was shot dead on Wednesday in Maudaha in Hamirpur district by STF team.

On Thursday, when the police reached the Bikru village to inform family members about Amar's death in an encounter, they received information that his father Sanjeev was still alive. The informer led the cops to Sanjeev's hideout, where he lived in anonymity for nearly a decade. "Sanjiv was arrested when he came out of hiding after learning about his son's death. During questioning, he told investigators he had survived the accident in which he lost a leg," said a police official.

Sanjeev had 12 cases, including attempt to murder, extortion and loot against him at the Chaubeypur police station. "He went underground after a road accident seven years ago, and asked family members to spread the news of his 'death' to shut criminal cases against him," said a police officer.

Latest visuals from Kanpur:

Corona test scheduled ahead of Dubey's autopsy
 
A Covid-19 test will be done on Vikas Dubey before his body is sent for post mortem. The body of the slain gangster is presently kept in Hallett hospital and has not yet been sent for post mortem. According to hospital sources, the autopsy will be done only after the Corona report comes in.

Meanwhile, none of the family members of the gangster have yet reached the hospital after the news of his death came in. Dubey's mother Sarla Dubey is in Lucknow but has, till now, refused to meet media persons. A number of policemen were stationed outside the Lucknow residence in Krishna Nagar area. His brother Deep Prakash Dubey is absconding. His wife Richa Dubey and son were picked up by STF and are in the Police Lines in Kanpur.

Four cops injured in encounter: Kanpur Police

Four policemen were injured in the incident that occurred on Friday. Vikas Dubey has been killed in police encounter, confirmed Kanpur IG Mohit Agarwal.

Visuals from accident spot in Kanpur:

 

 

 

 

From Friday to Friday: The Vikas Dubey story

Vikas Dubey was a relatively unknown name in Uttar Pradesh and its underworld till Friday, July 3. As the sun dawned on Friday, Dubey had become the most dreaded name in the country. He and his accomplices had shot dead eight police personnel in Bikru village under Chaubeypur police circle in cold blood. The police team had gone to Vikas Dubey's house in the wee hours of Friday to arrest him in a case of attempted murder. Dubey, who had been tipped off about the police raid by some moles in the police force, was prepared with his gang and opened fire on unsuspecting police personnel. He fled the scene with his accomplices, leaving behind a trail of blood, rage and horror. The incident, first of its kind in Uttar Pradesh, led to nationwide outrage and cast aspersions on the Yogi Adityanath government and the state police force.

Culprit killed, what about those who gave patronage: Priyanka 

The opposition parties on Friday slammed the Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government over the encounter of dreaded gangster Vikas Dubey, while being brought back to the state from Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain. Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra took a swipe at the Yogi Adityanath government over the encounter and questioned what will happen to those who gave patronage in this case. "The culprit has been killed but what about crime and people who gave patronage?" Priyanka Gandhi said in a tweet.

 

Opposition slams Yogi govt over Vikas Dubey encounter

The opposition parties on Friday slammed the Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government over the encounter of dreaded gangster Vikas Dubey, while being brought back to the state from Madhya Pradesh's Ujjain. Former Chief Minister and Samajwadi Party Chief Akhilesh Yadav took to twitter and wrote, "Actually. his car has not overturned, but the government has been saved from turning over the secret."

 

 

Jayant Chaudhary slams the BJP government

Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) leader Jayant Chaudhary also slammed the BJP government over the "encounter rule" in the state and urged all the judges to resign. "After Vikas Dubey's encounter, all the judges of the country should resign. There is no need of court in BJP's encounter rule," Chaudhary said in a series of tweets. "All this drama has been created to save the real culprits of killing eight policemen," the RLD leader said in another tweet.


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM World
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /international/india/cbse-hikes-registration-fees-for-grade-10-12-board-exams macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery