Hi-tech thief remanded to judicial custody

TRIVANDRUM — Hi-tech thief Devinder Singh alias ‘Bunti Chor’, who was arrested in Pune in connection with the sensational burglary at the house of a Gulf-based Non-Resident Keralite business in the Kerala capital of Trivandrum on January 21, was on Tuesday remanded to judicial custody till February 12.

By T K Devasia

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:27 PM

Last updated: Tue 7 Apr 2015, 3:44 PM

Trivandrum First Class Magistrate Court, where Bunti was produced by the police around 9.30am, was subsequently sent to Poojappura Central Jail. He was shifted to the jail after medical examination ordered by the court on his complaint that he was roughed up by the police during his interrogation at the Armed Reserve Camp at Nandavanam.

However, doctors at the General Hospital confirmed that he had not suffered any assault in the last few days. Bunti had tried to talk to the media at the court and the general hospital but the police shut his mouth. A large number of people had thronged both the places to have glimpse of him. Police said they will seek his custody for further interrogation on his missions in the state capital. Bunti reportedly did not repeat the claim he made before the media at Pune that he had come to Kerala to murder the director of a Bollywood film based on his life.

Bunti had barged into the house of the NRI on January 21 after breaking its high-tech security systems like intruder alarm. After lifting a laptop computer and some other costly gadgets, he decamped in a luxury car parked there.

The hidden camera installed in the house, however, got a clear image of the thief and police identified him as Bunti, as he enjoyed the status of a skilled conman and had even appeared in a television reality show some time back. A couple of days later, Bunti was spotted on the Tamil Nadu-Karnataka border, fuelling speculation of his arrest.

He, however, gave a slip to police by abandoning the car he had stolen and surfaced at Pune, where the police caught him on a tip off from an alert receptionist. He was brought here from Mumbai by flight on Monday. — news@khaleejtimes.com

More news from