Guilty of 8 murders, Canadian serial killer 'staged victims, photographed them'


Guilty of 8 murders, Canadian serial killer staged victims, photographed them

He now faces the likelihood of life in prison.


  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Wed 30 Jan 2019, 6:18 AM

Last updated: Wed 30 Jan 2019, 10:22 AM

A Canadian landscaper on Tuesday pleaded guilty to the premeditated murders of eight men with links to Toronto's gay community and the mutilation of their bodies, most of them chopped up and hidden inside planters.
The plea entered by Bruce McArthur, 67, was a surprise - he had been scheduled to stand trial next year.
He now faces the likelihood of life in prison. A sentencing hearing is scheduled to start on February 4, when family and friends of the victims will have an opportunity to describe how the killings have affected their lives.
The case shocked all of Canada, and especially the gay community. It sparked a massive investigation in Toronto, the country's largest city, at dozens of properties where McArthur had worked.
"Bruce McArthur has pled guilty," Homicide Detective David Dickinson told reporters outside the courtroom. "It's the right outcome."
"Unfortunately, we can never bring these men back. But I'm hoping we can start bringing closure to the families and the communities," he said, describing the "long and traumatic process" to bring McArthur to justice.
McArthur was arrested in January 2018.
Body parts of seven of the victims were found hidden inside large planters that McArthur stored at a client's home in midtown Toronto.
The remains of an eighth victim were later discovered in a ravine behind the property.
The victims in the case were McArthur's former lover, two Afghan immigrants, two refugees from Sri Lanka and another from Iran, a Turkish national, and a homeless sex worker.
All went missing from 2010 to 2017.
Prosecutor Michael Cantlon described to the court, according to local reports, how McArthur had "staged" the corpses of his victims and photographed them. He also kept mementos such as jewelry.
Cantlon said the murders were "sexual in nature."
Police had found a bag containing duct tape and rope, surgical gloves and syringes during a search of his bedroom and said the evidence pointed to some of the victims being tied up and sexually assaulted prior to their deaths.
Karen Fraser - the owner of the home where McArthur stored his planters, and who had casually met two of the victims - said she is "haunted" by the case.
"Terrible things were done," she said. "To me, he's evil."
McArthur first came under suspicion in September 2017 in connection with the disappearance of his lover Andrew Kinsman, but police at first rejected suggestions that a serialkiller was prowling Toronto's Gay Village neighborhood.
Last January, police made a quick decision to enter McArthur's apartment and arrest him when they saw a young man enter his home. They found the man tied up on a bed, but unharmed.
McArthur had not acknowledged his sexual orientation until he was in his 40s. He suddenly left his wife and two children in Oshawa, Ontario and moved to Toronto in 1997 where he became well known within the gay community.
A psychiatric assessment after his first run-in with the law in 2001 said he likely harbored "underlying resentments" but concluded that he was not dangerous.
He was convicted of beating a male prostitute with a metal pipe but did not serve prison time. Later he would be granted a pardon, wiping the conviction from the official record until Canadian media went to court to have the documents unsealed.
Detective Sergeant Hank Idsinga, the lead investigator, has said the forensic probe into the killings was Toronto's largest ever - excavations or searches were carried out at more than 75 properties in the Toronto area.
Police also looked at 15 cold cases dating back to 1975 for possible links to the accused, but Idsinga has said he does not believe more victims will be uncovered.
Many, including investigators, expressed relief that the case would not go to trial, sparing family and friends of the victims from having to hear the gruesome details of McArthur's crimes.
The investigation, however, will continue into the foreseeable future, said Dickinson. 

More news from