Doctors save toddler's life after removing battery from throat
Surgeons perform two-hour operation to remove battery lodged in oesophagus for four months.
A father of a young girl has warned parents with toddlers not to allow their kids to play with batteries after his 11-month-old daughter had a life-threatening situation after swallowing a button battery.
Sofia-Grace Hill was rushed to the emergency room where doctors discovered a tiny watch battery, the size of a button, that was stuck in the throat and it was slowly burning her oesophagus.
It happened that the girl was refusing to eat solid foods. Several visits to the doctor did not help. Doctors initially thought that the girl was suffering from tonsillitis or a viral infection, but it was only upon further investigation and an X-ray of her throat that the battery was discovered in her oesophagus.
Surgeons at Bristol Royal Hospital performed a two-hour operation on the girl and finally managed to remove the battery. Doctors said the girl was very lucky to have survived as the battery was old and hardly had any charge left in it.
Sofia-Grace Hill, from Swindon, now has a feeding tube to help her with food and to stop her throat from closing. There is a pocket in her throat where the battery was lodged. She now has to undergo a medical procedure to stretch her oesophagus and her condition is said to be improving slowly, according to a report in The Sun.
Surgeons perform two-hour operation to remove battery lodged in... READ MORE
The shutdown of borders to all non-resident foreign nationals will... READ MORE
Decision on banning flights from all South American countries to be... READ MORE
State news agency Wam confirmed that the incident was an accident. READ MORE
This latest development is announced following the number of Covid-19 ... READ MORE
The UAE has vaccinated the highest number of medically eligible... READ MORE
Khaleej Times joins Dubai Economy during surprise Covid safety... READ MORE
3 other tourism establishments have been fined. READ MORE