Narratiive Tags - Khaleej Times Desktop
Europe
Logo
 

25 poisoned at Norway illegal rave party

Filed on August 31, 2020 | Last updated on August 31, 2020 at 06.31 pm
25, Norway, party, COPENHAGEN, carbon, Oslo
Emergency personnel are seen at the site where people have been found unconscious and sent to hospital after they were probably poisoned with carbon monoxide at a party in a bunker in Oslo.

(Reuters)

Portable diesel generators used to power lighting and sound systems allegedly poisoned some 25 people with carbon monoxide in a bunker in central Oslo

Some 25 people taking part in an illegal rave in a bunker in the Norwegian capital, Oslo, were poisoned by carbon monoxide given off by portable generators, police said.

Five people - including two police officers who were first on the scene - were hospitalised in critical condition but their lives are not in danger, the Norwegian news agency NTB said. Two of the five were released from intensive care on Monday, NTB reported.

Up to 200 partygoers in their 20s and 30s had gathered for the rave, which used portable diesel generators to power lighting and sound systems.

Officers discovered the event early Sunday when a police patrol met a group of confused young people in the park where the bunkers lies. Emergency services found seven people unconscious in the bunker.

Norwegian broadcaster NRK said Sunday no had yet been accused of wrongdoing.

The party started late Saturday night and had been announced on closed social media pages.

The company that owns the bunker described the illegal rave as a "serious break-in" and said the company did not bear any responsibility, Norway's VG newspaper reported. The entrance to the bunker was previously closed with double-reinforced concrete. However, it was reopened by new owners and only secured with wooden boards.

The organizers later said the diesel generators were in a room with ventilation but neither police nor the fire department could confirm that. Several partygoers told Norwegian media that they had to go outside several times to breathe fresh air.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced by the burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. The gas is harmful because it displaces oxygen from red blood cells, resulting in damage to major organs.

Exposure can cause headache, dizziness, nausea, coughing, breathing problems and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, and in some cases it can be fatal.


ERROR: Macro /ads/dfp-ad-article-new is missing!
MORE FROM World
MORE FROM Khaleej Times
CurrentRequestUnmodified: /world/europe/video-muslim-passengers-recite-the-shahadah-cry-as-plane-is-shaken-by-storm-dennis macro_action: article, macro_profile: , macro_adspot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
KT App Download
khaleejtimes app

All new KT app
is available
for download:

khaleejtimes - android khaleejtimes - ios khaleejtimes - HUAWEI AppGallery