ENGIE: Laying strong foundations for a better tomorrow

Top Stories

ENGIE: Laying strong foundations for a better tomorrow

ENGIE is a leading global energy company active in Power, Natural Gas and Energy Services, headquartered in France (Paris).

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Fri 27 Nov 2015, 11:03 AM

Last updated: Fri 27 Nov 2015, 1:05 PM

ENGIE (formerly GDF Suez) has a rich global and regional experience that it can leverage to build the energy world of tomorrow jointly with its local customers
ENGIE is a leading global energy company active in Power, Natural Gas and Energy Services, headquartered in France (Paris).
Formerly known as GDF SUEZ, the company has enjoyed a long presence in the UAE developing and operating Independent Water & Power Projects (IWPP), providing Facility Management services as well as Consultancy and Engineering services. Early 2015, a Research and Development activity was added to the list.
Regional pioneer in Independent Water & Power projects (IWPP)
ENGIE began its Middle East venture in the IWPP sector in Oman in 1996, and later moved to the UAE in 2000 to strike its first energy deal in Abu Dhabi, acquiring a stake in the Al Taweelah A1 power and water desalination project, in a joint venture with Total.
Since then, five more projects have been successfully developed under the UAE's well-established Public Private Partnership (PPP) regime. Five are already operational and the sixth, Mirfa Independent Water and Power Project, started construction recently. Mirfa IWPP is a vital project for Abu Dhabi; once completed, it will have a total power capacity of 1,600 MW and a seawater desalination capacity of 52.5 MIGD (238,665 m3/day). ADWEA holds an 80 per cent equity interest in the project with the remaining 20 per cent held by ENGIE.

Leading Facilities Management Provider

Through its subsidiary COFELY BESIX Facility Management (CBFM), formed in 2008 in joint venture with Belgian construction group BESIX, ENGIE is a leading facilities manager in the UAE. With 700 staff in the Emirates and around 1,600 across the Gulf countries, CBFM supports a number of high profile customers such as the Abu Dhabi Ports Company, Emirates airline, Aldar Properties, Emaar Properties, RTA Tram, Gulf Data Hub, etc. In addition to technical facility management, the company also provides an extensive range of outsourced services in the energy, infrastructure and airport sectors.

Consultancy and Engineering Services for the UAE's key infrastructure

ENGIE's engineering arm, Tractebel Engineering, has been providing consultancy and engineering services in energy, water and infrastructure in the UAE and GCC for many years. It recently merged with Lahmeyer International, creating a combination with global leadership in services to the energy industry sector.
With about 140 experts out of 4,400 specialists worldwide, its Middle East branch office in Dubai and regional offices in Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain are well positioned to serve the needs of local clients.

Research & Development in support of pioneering projects

Early 2015, ENGIE's R&D division - ENGIE Labs - opened an office in Masdar City and signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for a solar desalination pilot project, together with Degremont, a French sister company specialising in water treatment.

More news from