Eight arrested for CISF trooper's murder at airport

All the arrested are fire force men attached with the AAI.

By T.k. Devasia

Published: Sat 13 Jun 2015, 9:45 PM

Last updated: Wed 8 Jul 2015, 2:56 PM

Trivandrum: The Kerala police have arrested eight persons in connection with the murder of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) constable S S Yadav in the altercation between personnel of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) and the Airports Authority of India (AAI) at the Karipur international airport near Calicut on Wednesday.

All the arrested are fire force men attached with the AAI. Police sources said that two more Fire Force officials, who are undergoing treatment at a private hospital at Calicut for the injury they suffered in the scuffle, will also be arrested soon.

The source has also indicated further arrests in connection with the murder as well as destruction of property at the airport. The arrested have been charged with homicide without motive and disruption to the functioning of the airport.

Preliminary investigation by the state police has revealed that Yadav was killed in accidental firing from the pistol of CISF sub-inspector Sitaram Choudhary. The pistol in the hands of Choudhary went off hitting Yadav almost point-blank on his neck and jaw when he tried to intervene in the wordy duel between Choudhary and Fire Force jawan Sunny Thomas.

The autopsy report of Yadav said that the bullet which hit his left jaw pierced through his skull and broke into three pieces. Yadav died on the way to hospital. CISF has denied the charge. They alleged that a fire force official had snatched the pistol from Choudhary and fired at Yadav. However, a report CISF has sent to the federal home ministry has confirmed that the gunfire that killed Yadav came from Choudhary’s pistol. It said they were not clear as to who had fired. The CISF report said the unfortunate incident that led to temporary closure of the airport for 10 hours was the result of provocation caused by the Fire Force personnel.

The dispute ensued after the CISF officer stopped a fire force official at the VIP gate insisting for a body search. The report said that the official summoned his colleagues and mounted a joint attack on the CISF personnel. It said Choudhary had pulled out his gun for self-protection.

More news from WORLD