Diplomats and UN staff flee Yemen

Top Stories

Diplomats and UN staff flee Yemen

The director-general of Yemen’s Health Ministry, Al Khadher Laswar, said more than 62 people had been killed and 452 wounded in the city since Wednesday.

By (Reuters)

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 12:27 AM

Last updated: Thu 25 Jun 2015, 10:11 PM

Aden — Saudi Arabia’s navy evacuated dozens of diplomats from Yemen and the United Nations pulled out international staff on Saturday after a third night of Saudi-led air strikes trying to stem advances by Iranian-allied Houthi fighters.

The UAE fighter jets continued their air strikes against Houthi-controlled targets in Sana’a and Ma’reb. All jets returned to their bases safely.

Residents reported heavy clashes between the Houthis and mainly tribal fighters in the south of the country, while the Saudi-led air campaign sought to stall a fresh offensive by Houthis on Aden from the east.

Dozens of diplomats were shipped out of Aden to Jeddah, Saudi TV said, escaping the city where President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi had taken refuge until Thursday, when he left for Egypt to shore up Arab support for his crumbling authority.

The director-general of Yemen’s Health Ministry, Al Khadher Laswar, said more than 62 people had been killed and 452 wounded in the city since Wednesday. Explosions at the city’s largest ammunition depot on Saturday left at least nine badly wounded, he said.

In Sanaa, which has been under Houthi control since September, more than 100 UN staff were evacuated, a United Nations source said. Airport staff said dozens of other foreigners working for international oil companies and NGOs also flew out to Ethiopia and Djibouti.

At the Arab summit in the Egyptian resort of Sharm El Sheikh, Hadi urged Yemen’s army to protect state institutions and obey the orders of Yemen’s “legitimate leadership”.

The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia, told the summit the operation would continue until Yemen achieved peace and security, while the Amir of Kuwait, His Highness Shaikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah, said the Houthi advances “pose a threat to our security”.



More news from