700 insects found living in man's body after he complains of headaches

Top Stories

700 insects, living, mans body, complain, headaches

He suffered headaches and seizures which lasted for over a month.

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Fri 22 Nov 2019, 12:00 PM

Last updated: Thu 19 Dec 2019, 1:34 PM

A Chinese man was found to have over 700 tapeworms in his body after he ate undercooked meat hotpot.   
The man named Zhu Zhong-fa said that after having the hotpot he started to suffer headaches and seizures which lasted for over a month. When symptoms persisted, the 43-year-old man visited the First Affiliated Hospital of College of Medicine, Zhejiang University.
According to reports in Mirror.co.uk, Dr Wang Jian-rong from the department of infectious disease, found over 700 tapeworms in his brain, chest and lungs. "There are multiple presences of space-occupying lesions in the patient's brain. It's also in the lungs and fills up the muscles inside the chest cavity," Dr Jian-rong said adding the tapeworms have 'caused damage' to the patient's organs.
The man was diagnosed with Taeniasis, derived from Taenia Solium which is medical term for tapeworms. Their eggs can enter the body if undercooked or infected meat is consumed. "We tend to have a lot of meat-based meals in our daily lives, like roast lamb and other meats. If it's undercooked, the tapeworm eggs will stay alive when ingested," Dr Wang said.
The parasitic disease can be treated with laxatives and medicines but the dosage and duration of the treatment may vary due to the severeness of the infection. According to World Health Organisation, when tapeworm eggs enter the central nervous system, they can cause neurological symptoms to the patient, including epileptic seizures.
 



More news from