Police to probe murder angle in Sharjah killings

SHARJAH — The ghastly killings involving six members of an Indian family in Sharjah may have been the result of psychological problems rather than financial debts, your favourite No. 1 newspaper Khaleej Times has learnt.


Amira Agarib

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 10:48 AM

Last updated: Tue 2 May 2023, 3:00 PM

Raziuddin Mohammed Zia, a 45-year-old engineer, is suspected to have killed his 35-year-old wife Rizwana Riyali, and their four children, 12-year-old Badrnajoum, seven-year-old Humaiduddin, six-year-old Omaima and 18-month-old Sania, before killing himself.

The Sharjah Police, however, does not rule out the possibility of a mass murder of the family and has referred the case to the Public Prosecution. Investigations are also on with friends and neighbours.

The bodies of the wife and children were found lying in pools of blood on the bedroom floor with deep slits on their neck, while Raziuddin's body was found on the bed with his throat slit. A knife was found next to his body, and his footprints were found near the pools of blood on the floor, a police source said. According to a reliable source at Zulekha Hospital in Sharjah, Raziuddin was receiving psychiatric treatment from one Dr Sanjay at the hospital till 2003. Dr Sanjay no longer works for the hospital.

Mohammed Al Shaikh Al Mubarak, the owner of the company where Raziuddin worked, told Khaleej Times that as Head of Contracts and Purchasing Section, Raziuddin was well off and apparently had no financial crisis.

A similar view was expressed by a source at the Indian High School, Dubai, where the slain children studied. The source pointed out that Raziuddin would have made a requisition for a fee waiver or discount if the family was faced with financial problems.

The source said the children, who were studying in grades six, three and one, were normal kids and there was no indication of family problems.

Indian Consul General Yash Sinha said the Indian mission was trying to establish contact with the family's next of kin in the country including his brother, who first reported to the police that there was no response to his knocks at Raziuddin's house.

"Our people are on the job and are in touch with the employer and the investigating agencies regarding the incident. We have also requested the Indian Association Sharjah to assist the mission in gathering more information on the slain family," Sinha said, adding that efforts to contact the brother had been in vain.

Sharjah Police officials said : "The exact time of killings is yet to be ascertained, but we suspect it could have happened late on Friday night or early Saturday morning. We are waiting for the forensic report."

Raziuddin's brother, Naqiuddin Mohammed Zia, who works as an agriculture engineer with Dubai Municipality, reported to the police on Saturday that he was worried about his brother after the latter called up their father in Hyderabad and told him to consider him dead.

According to a police report, the brother, in his statement, said he had not visited his brother on Friday, but went over to the house on Saturday. After waiting at the door for a while with no one answering the door bell, he immediately rushed to the building watchman requesting him to help him break open the door. But, when the watchman refused, the brother rushed to the police. He returned with a police party who broke open the door only to find the entire family dead.

Mubarak, the owner of the company where Raziuddin worked, who himself was in a state of shock, told Khaleej Times : "I don't believe he could have slaughtered his children and wife and then committed suicide because he was a religious man and had been on Haj and Umrah."

"It is a big loss to the company. All employees are shocked and we cannot concentrate on our work," Mubarak said, adding that the company will remain closed till Tuesday to mourn the death of Raziuddin and his family.

Aziz Ganik, the building watchman, also confirmed that Raziuddin was deeply religious and had no problems with anyone in the neighbourhood during the three years he stayed in the building.

Aslam, who lives on the same floor as that of the family, said he and other neighbours are surprised they did not hear any screams or shouting by the wife and children when they were allegedly being murdered by Raziuddin.

More news from UAE