Eman, once world heaviest, becomes a memory

Top Stories

Eman, once world heaviest, becomes a memory

The unfortunate incident has happened just weeks after Eman celebrated her 37th birthday


Ashwani Kumar

  • Follow us on
  • google-news
  • whatsapp
  • telegram

Published: Tue 26 Sep 2017, 7:27 PM

Eman Ahmad Abdul Atti, who was once the world's heaviest woman, passed away on Monday morning.
The unfortunate incident has happened just weeks after Eman celebrated her 37th birthday with her mother, sister and niece at Burjeel Hospital, where she was admitted on May 4.
Over the months, however, there had been great signs of improvement. From raising her arms to managing to hold things and even feeding herself, Eman and the hospital were winning battles.
On July 24, Eman in her pretty red dress, wheeled out for the first time during a press conference, made a defining statement with her rosy smile. It was a complete turnover of a person who was depressed few months back. Last month, there was a first outdoor experience planned for Eman but it was cancelled due to bad weather conditions.
However, there wasn't any sign of discomfort as her birthday was marked earlier this month where she also enjoyed a slice of cake.
Doctors at the hospital, however, noted it wasn't sudden turn of events that led to her death but things were not fine over past few days. Eman eventually died due to heart and kidney complications, they said.
Burjeel Hospital medical director Dr Nabil Debouni said all 'necessary steps' were taken by the specialist team but Eman couldn't be saved.
"We had given all possible care. She had shown good improvement but then gradually lessened and her condition deteriorated. Eman was shifted to intensive care unit and we took all necessary steps but she couldn't be saved," Debouni told Khaleej Times.
Eman was shifted to the ICU on Sunday morning but despite best efforts and expertise couldn't live to see Monday's sunrise.
The death, at 4.35 am, was following complications from the underlying comorbid conditions, including heart disease and kidney dysfunction.
Debouni as the medical director of the hospital was leading the 20-member specialist team treating Eman.
"We are not just offering services to Eman but to her family too. At this moment, they too are under our care. This is a sad time for them and we are with the family," Debouni said.
However, Debouni revealed there were no surgeries done on Eman.
"Yes, we had made those announcements at the press conference (on July 24) but there were no surgeries done on Eman," Debouni said referring to the three-step treatment plans disclosed by chief medical officer Dr Yassin El Shahat. The second phase of treatment was set for mid-August but Debouni said thus far it was continuous care that was provided to Eman.
"It was a continuous process ever since Eman was brought under our care. It is unfortunate that she is no more but we tried our best," Debouni added.
The hospital had set a 100-kg mark for Eman to achieve. However, it wasn't meant to be. And now it's a travel back to her home country of Egypt and to her birthplace of Alexandria.
Debouni said now the process to repatriate her body back to Egypt has started.
"We are awaiting necessary approvals and once done, we will transport the body. At the moment the important thing is to provide support to Eman's family," Debouni added.
Eman once weighed 500kg but has left an entire nation with a heavy heart.-
- ashwani@khaleejtimes.com

More news from