Electrical overloads, ACs and suction fans cause most domestic fires in Sharjah

Electrical overloads, ACs, suction fans, domestic fires, Sharjah

Sharjah - Fires occur because regular maintenance of the equipment is downplayed.


Afkar Ali Ahmed

Published: Wed 29 Jul 2020, 3:00 PM

Last updated: Wed 29 Jul 2020, 11:23 PM

Overloading electricity connections, poor maintenance of air-conditioners, suction fans and carelessly discarded cigarette butts are the main reasons behind domestic fires during summers in Sharjah, the Sharjah Civil Defence has revealed.
A top official at Sharjah Civil Defence said that even though there has been a steep decline in fire mishaps this year owing to enhanced awareness, there are many accidents that could have been easily avoided.
Col Sami Al Naqbi, director-general of Sharjah Civil Defence said that the high load of electricity during the summer is behind most fires in residential facilities, apart from a host of other reasons. The poor maintenance of electrical appliances, especially air-conditioners that operate for hours together, is another prime reason that triggers blaze in residential units.
Al Naqbi underlined that fires occur because regular maintenance of the equipment is downplayed. The upkeep of the device is crucial and should be done only by the supplier or the distributor of the product. Unqualified workers should not be allowed to repair or carry out maintenance work of electrical appliances in homes, he warned, adding that cutting wires with exposed and conductive connections of electrical currents can spark fire.
Suction fans in kitchens have also caused fire accidents in flats and homes because residues of volatile oils are deposited on them and heat is generated when they are triggered, which leads to ignition speed, especially as they are made of flammable plastic materials, explained Al Naqbi. He said that increasing extensions which result in short circuits is another reason of mishaps.
Al Naqbi pointed out smoking in the bedroom and carelessly discarding cigarette butts have ignited many fires. Besides, leaving burning incense sticks near the wardrobe, which reach the fabric, have caused accidents as well, he added.
The official drew attention to the importance of ensuring the presence of UAE quality mark on electrical products before purchasing them. The mark implies that the products has been approved by the Standards and Metrology Authority, and complies with the standards that confirm their suitability for use, he pointed out.
Al Naqbi said that Sharjah Civil Defence, in cooperation with authorities concerned in the emirate, has been organising training workshops for housewives, with the aim to sensitise them about causes of fires and ways to combat them. They are also told about the necessary steps that must be followed when a fire occurs due to gas cylinder or heater explosion and gas stove ignition, as well as how to use alarms and fire extinguishers.

More news from UAE