5 men assault Dubai resident after birthday party

5 men assault Dubai resident after birthday party

Dubai - The assault victim added that he fell into a coma for some time.



by

Marie Nammour

Published: Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:52 PM

Last updated: Fri 16 Aug 2019, 8:43 AM

Five Vietnamese men, aged between 19 and 34, have been sentenced to three years each in prison for assaulting an Egyptian man in Dubai.

Prosecution records show that the defendants assaulted and left the victim with multiple injuries, including face and skull bone fractures and hearing and memory loss.

The 30-year-old Egyptian man was cleared of the charges of robbing one of his attackers of five mobile phones, three sunglasses and two necklaces, as well as consuming alcohol without a permit.

The five Vietnamese men will be deported after serving their prison term, the Dubai Court of First Instance ruled.

The incident took place on May 3 last year, and was reported at Al Muraqqabat police station.

During the investigation, the Egyptian man, a receptionist, recounted that he went to a flat with a friend to attend a birthday party on the day of the incident. "We got inside the flat at past 7.30pm. There were five men and two women, all Vietnamese. My friend was talking to them when they had an altercation in which he insulted them."

He then left with his friend. "My friend went back to his flat while I went to a nearby supermarket. As I walked out, I was attacked by the same men whom I had just seen at the flat. They had knives and sharp tools. I fainted after they slashed my face and head with knives. All of them assaulted me, and a woman kicked me," the receptionist told the prosecutor.

The assault victim added that he fell into a coma for some time, and he was still undergoing treatments for the injuries he sustained.

One of the Vietnamese, a 29-year-old man, said their flat was being used for massage services. He claimed that the Egyptian man went there to demand money.
"He followed me as I went to the kitchen to check the surveillance cameras. He then stole my belongings while threatening me with a knife."

A 30-year-old Syrian woman, who was driving in the neighbourhood, said she saw the five men assaulting the victim with knives, sticks and a sword as he bled profusely. She then called the police. The ruling has been appealed.

mary@khaleejtimes.com


More news from UAE